Letters (Extended)

Note: Thank you all so much for enjoying this collection! Here is the extended version of 'Letters'

Night had fallen, and Ellie was exhausted, both physically and mentally.

A few months had passed since she left NCIS in disgrace. She was still secretly in contact with Mcgee in letters.

She had thought of sending Nick a letter, but she was afraid to, afraid of what his response would be.

She had fallen in love with him. She didn't know why or when, but it happened. And she chose to leave him and NCIS. She knew that she hurt him, and wouldn't be surprised if he hated her.

'Come on, you're not going to know for sure unless you write him.' She told herself.

So, when she wrote to Mcgee, she also included a letter to be given to Nick.

Here's what it said:

'Dear Nick. I've been debating with myself back and forth as to if I should write to you, figured this was as good a time as any.

I know that I hurt you, and I'm very sorry for it. I wouldn't blame you if you hate me for it. After all, I left NCIS in disgrace and broke up with you.

I'm writing you this, because I need to know something. Some day, this mission I am on will end, and I'll be able to go home. I want to know if you and the rest of the team will welcome me back.

I need to know if there's a light at the end of this painful tunnel, so to speak. I just want to know if it's worth it to return to DC when this is over.

Ellie.'

A few days later, she got a letter from Nick:

'Dear Ellie. I was quite surprised, but happy to get your letter.

When you left, I was very hurt. I didn't know what to do, or what to feel. I might have even hated you at 1 point, but I don't anymore.

I didn't mean to fall in love with you either, but 1 way or another, it happened. I don't regret any of it.

As mad as I should be at you, I also really miss you. Everyone misses you. If you were to come back 1 day, They would definitely welcome you back.

Me? Well, if enough time passes, and if I'm in a good mood, I'll also welcome you back.

Take care out there. Nick.'

A couple of months later

'Dear Nick. I am happy to report, that my mission may be wrapping up soon, and that soon, I may be able to go home!

I hope to get to see you soon.

Ellie.'

Ellie and Nick reunited a week later, and later rekindled their relationship.