Chapter 1 | dying

So... what would Light Yagami say now he'd had the absolute nerve to act upset as L died right in front of him?

Rest In Peace?

More like, I win.

He hadn't won, not yet.

L's anger and fear as he faced his own mortality, looking up at his murderer, and the pain in his chest all faded away as the life drained from his body. But to his confusion and surprise... his mind it kept going. He could feel...

At first it was just nothing, like floating in a void. But then he felt... wet? No soaking. And then he found it hard to breathe. When he opened his eyes again he almost had a second heart attack finding himself underwater. At least he thought it was water. It was red...

Thrashing his limbs to swim to the surface he broke to the top and gasped for air coughing up the red water he'd swallowed. He couldn't make things out very well, but he did see a ledge, and pulled himself up out of the water where he wheezed at the sudden coughing fit.

As his breath came back, and his vision cleared he found himself looking down at his arms, wet and leaning on a decorated floor. And... they were transparent. His arms! They were see through!

Freaking out, he stood up, looking down at his dripping body and finding he could look right through himself. What was going on? Where was he? He'd never been so confused and panicked in his life...

Wait...

Didn't he just have a heart attack?

Gathering the courage to look up, he found himself in a large, imposing yet very fancy hallway. Decorated with pillars of skulls and scythes, banners with symbols he didn't understand and lining the halls were a few other people. Like him, soaked and see-through. Although they seemed calmer than him, like they knew what was going on.

"What the..." he whispered to himself, looking around for anything familiar.

But he couldn't find anything or anyone he knew. This place was completely foreign to him. The air was cold, still and a dark gloom loomed over the place. In the distance he could hear what sounded like a string instrument, and distant chatter. Shivers ran down his spine.

He was the worlds greatest detective who stood before the worlds worst criminals without even batting an eye. But now... he was scared. Something about this place, it scared him. Was he dreaming? Hallucinating? What was going on?

He jumped at the sound of the large doors at the end of the hall opening, and creaking as they did creating an eerie echo.

"Alright shades, you should know what to do. And if you don't you clearly never faced your mortality before. Single file line, walk up to the desk and Lord Hades will check you in. Hope you didn't commit any crimes in life or you'll be thrown into Tartarus"

What. The. Fuck.

None of that made sense to him. He just watched as the others around him walked through the doors like it was nothing. Standing by the entrance and watching them go past was a person wrapped up in a chiton and cloak, they held a scroll under their arm and had a wreath placed on their head. They too were see through, and looked almost human.

"Hey, you too buddy"

L snapped from his daze, realising they were talking to him.

"What's going on? Who are you? Where am I?" He asked.

"Ah... traumatic death huh? Still shaken up? You're dead. You're in the house of hades, you don't have anything to worry about if you aren't a criminal you'll end up in asphodel or elesyium"