Chapter 19 - Checkmate

The four children walked out onto the marble board and flames lit all around them, illuminating the board and giant chess pieces.

"There's the door." Harry said, pointing.

They walked across the board, towards the door. Suddenly, as they reached a line of pawns, the pawns brought up their swords. The four jumped, backing up.

Hermione sighed in vexation. "Now what do we do?"

"It's obvious, isn't it?" Ron replied. "We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's rook. Dayton, you're on the Bishop at C6. As for me, I'll be a Knight."

The four children all took their places on the board.

"What happens now?" Hermione asked.

"Well," Dayton pondered. "White moves first, and then... we play."

Just as he said these words, a pawn on the other side moved forward. Ron and Dayton studied the game.

"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like... real Wizard's Chess, do you?" Hermione asked the redhead.

"You there!" Dayton shouted, pointing to a black pawn. "D5!"

The black pawn moved forward, diagonal to the white pawn. The white pawn raised its swords and smashed the black one.

"Yes, Hermione." Ron answered the girl. "I think this is going to be exactly like Wizard's Chess."

Over the next several minutes, the game continued, with Ron and Dayton calling the plays.

"Castle to E4!" Dayton ordered.

"Pawn to C3!" Ron instructed.

Eventually, there were only a few pieces left, and Dayton and Ron studied the game once again. For now, a difficult play lay before them.

"Wait a minute." Harry was beginning to realise what was about to happen.

"You understand right, Harry?" Dayton said. "Once Ron makes his move, the Queen will take him. Then you'll be free to check the King."

"No, Ron! No!" Harry's eyes widened.

"What is it?" Hermione inquired.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Harry answered.

"No, Ron, you can't!" Hermione exclaimed. "There must be another way!"

"Do you want to stop Snape or not?" Dayton snapped. "Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Ron, not Hermione, you."

With that, he gave a nod to Ron to make the play.

Ron took a deep breath. "Knight to H3." He directed.

Ron's horse moved forward, slid and stopped.

"Check." Ron said.

The Queen turned and advanced, as Ron clutched the steel reins. The Queen stopped.

What happened next seemed to Dayton as if it was occurring in slow motion.

Smash! Ron went flying off the horse and landed on the floor, unconscious.

In her worry for her friend, Hermione started walking over, but was abruptly stopped by Harry.

"No! Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing." He warned her, and Hermione returned to her spot. Harry made the diagonal path in front of the King.

"Checkmate." Harry said, and the King's sword fell to the ground.

Victory.

Dayton let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding as the three ran to Ron.

Harry looked at Dayton and Hermione. "Take care of Ron." He instructed. "Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Dayton's right, I have to go on."

"You'll be okay, Harry." Hermione assured him. "You're a great wizard, you really are."

Harry chuckled. "Not as good as you."

Hermione smiled. "Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Harry, just be careful."

Harry nodded and left.

"Come on, Dayton." Hermione said to the blond boy as she bent down beside Ron. "We've got work to do."