Chapter Nine

Mrs. Lodge

“Remember James, not a word of this to anyone.”

“You’re the boss, Mrs. Lodge,” said James, as we pulled out of the driveway and headed for the Hyannis Ferry.

“I take it by your tone you have something to say?”

“Your family would want to know. Especially Thomas,” said James.

“I don’t want to burden them unless it’s necessary,” I explained.

“What’s the point of having a family if you can’t be a burden to them from time to time?” asked James.

“I’m counting on your discretion,” I reminded my driver.

“It’s not my place to say anything, ma’am,” James agreed. 

“The wedding will be upon us soon and you’ve seen how happy Thomas has been this summer.  Now simply isn’t the time.”

“Yes ma’am.” James sighed. 

It’s a long drive to Boston and as we boarded the ferry I drifted off to sleep.  Lately my dreams have been of Henry and Thomas.  I love them dearly and though I don’t show it as much as they’d like I’m sure each knows how much they mean to me.  I’m proud of Henry and the man he’s become and I know he’ll make an excellent president.  Thomas has come so far from the frightened child I brought home when he was five.  He’s grown into a confident, accomplished young man and I see greatness in his future. 

At 83 years old I’ve outlived my husband and most of my friends.  I don’t fear death.  The only thing I fear at this stage in life is the secret I’ve born for the past 16 years.  Sometimes we set out with the best of intentions, at least that’s what we tell ourselves, when in our hearts we know our logic is flawed. 

I dreamt of the first time Henry saw Thomas.  He was visiting me at Summers End before the political season started and he’d be too busy to come home.  Thomas hadn’t been with me long and he was afraid of his own shadow.  I admit most of that was my fault.  His first day on the island he broke a rather expensive vase and I scolded him too harshly.  He’d been quiet and sullen, I’m sure he was thinking about his mother and how much he’d like to go home but then Henry came. 

Henry took to the boy instantly.  He hardly spent any of his time with me that weekend; he was so determined to make that child smile.  It warmed my heart to see them together and made me think of what might have been.  I could have told them then but the timing wasn’t right.  Thomas had just lost his mother and needed a stable home and Henry, for all his brilliance and charm, was still just a boy at heart. They weren’t ready. 

“Mrs. Lodge,” said James, shaking my shoulder. “We’ve arrived.”

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and found the glass and steel edifice of Massachusetts General Hospital standing before us. James helped me out of the car and then retrieved my bag from the trunk before escorting me to the reception desk. 

“I’ve reserved a room for you at the Park Plaza.  The hospital will phone you in the morning when I am to be picked up.”

“Yes ma’am.” James tipped his cap. 

A moment later a nurse in green scrubs escorted me to a private room where she had me change into a hospital gown and climb into bed to await the doctor.  I see Dr. Prichard regularly but the equipment he has access to on the island wasn’t capable of diagnosing my problem. 

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Lodge, I’m Dr. Harper,” said a young man in a white lab coat as he entered the room. 

His youth didn’t inspire confidence.  He looked as if he were one of my grandsons.  Massachusetts General is after all the preeminent teaching hospital for Harvard University. I’m sure whatever Dr. Harper lacks in experience he makes up for in other ways.