Chapter Two

Thomas

The transition from boarding school to life at Summers End always takes some getting used too.  One reason the pampered princes and princesses of the wealthy are sent to boarding school is to learn to be independent.  You’re expected to keep your room clean, get your laundry done, eat your meals at the appointed time and most importantly, take responsibility for your schedule and attend classes.  At Summers End everything was done for me. 

I’m not sure exactly which of the servants was responsible for listening for my shower to start running but once it did they sprang into action.  Down in the kitchen Cook began preparing my breakfast.  Upstairs, Carson laid out my clothes then informed Mrs. Lodge she could expect me downstairs momentarily. 

When I woke the first morning home I stretched and then threw open the window to let the fresh air fill the room.  Nothing is better than the smell of the air after a summer storm and last night’s rain seemed to polish the whole island.  I enjoyed the view for a moment and then headed for the bathroom.  I let the water run so it could heat up while I stripped off my pajamas, then I climbed under the spray and felt all the tension in my body fade away.  Nothing is as refreshing as a morning shower but after 20 minutes my skin started to prune so I toweled off and headed back to my room. 

At the foot of my bed I found three neatly folded polo shirts in navy, black and grey.  I had a choice between khaki chinos or shorts, fresh underpants, two pairs of deck shoes and two belts, one leather, one canvas.  There weren’t any socks because one should never wear socks with deck shoes.  I selected the black polo, khaki shorts, leather belt and the matching deck shoes to go over my white undershirt and grey boxer-briefs.  I made sure my hair was neatly combed, brushed away any wrinkles from my shirt and trotted down the stairs. 

I heard voices coming from the study and assumed Mrs. Lodge was chatting with our summer guests.  I wasn’t thrilled about the prospect of entertaining some kid I didn’t know all summer but Mrs. Lodge had already reminded me of my responsibilities as a host and I didn’t want to disappoint her.  Reluctantly I headed for the study to get the introductions over with. 

I entered the study and was momentarily thunderstruck.  He was the cutest boy I’d ever seen.  He was tall and thin with hair so blond it was almost white.  His eyes were like liquid sapphires and his skin like fresh cream.  He was dressed similarly to me in a lite yellow polo and faded red shorts.  The colors accented him perfectly and really brought out his eyes.  The only fault I could find was with the flip-flops on his slender feet.  I’m sure Mrs. Lodge pursed her lips disapprovingly when she saw them. 

“Ah, Thomas, there you are,” said Mrs. Lodge. 

I couldn’t take my eyes off him.  I didn’t want to stare but I couldn’t help myself. 

“Thomas?”

His haircut was kind of retro.  Most boys our age don’t wear flat-tops, at least not by choice.  The cut suggested military school.

“Boy, have you gone deaf?”

“Huh?” I responded as the familiar name snapped me out of my trance.  “Er…I beg your pardon, Mrs. Lodge. My mind was preoccupied.”

“Indeed,” said Mrs. Lodge suspiciously.  “At any rate, please say hello to our guests, Mrs. Carstairs and her son, Alec.  This is my ward, Thomas Dufrain.”

“How do you do Mrs. Carstairs, welcome to Summers End.” I smiled and shook her hand like a proper little gentleman, then shook Alec’s hand and gave him a casual, “Hi,” while I tried to avoid further embarrassment by not blushing.