Chapter Fifteen

Jillian

The storm passed over us in the night.  Hurricane Carolyn never made landfall on Nantucket and the tail end of the storm which came in with a roar, went out with a whimper.  The day of the wedding the sun dawned over the island bright and beautiful.  Despite the busy day that awaited the household I was the first one up as was my custom.  I poured myself a cup of coffee and went into the study to find Henry staring out at the sea. 

“Have you been up all night?” I know him well enough to know Henry isn’t an early riser.  It was more likely he’d never gone to bed. 

“Most of it.”

“Big day today.”

“Big weekend.  How often does a man get married and become a father for the first time?” He sighed.

“How are you doing with all this?”

“It’s pretty surreal. Part of me is angry at my parents. Part of me is excited about being a dad and part of me regrets all the time I’ve missed,” said Henry.

“What happened when you guys went into the study last night?”

“Mother explained that Alexandra, that’s Tommy’s mom, came to she and my father.  When she told them she was pregnant with my child dad accused her of trying to blackmail the family and all but threw her out,” said Henry.

“Wow,” I exclaimed.

“Mother says he was trying to protect me.  I was gearing up to run for congress and he thought a scandal might…”

“Yeah, I get it,” I nodded.  “What do you think?”

“I don’t know. You know what I was like back then but I think I’d have grown up a little if I knew I was going to have a kid.”

“There’s no growing up a little.  When a baby comes along you have to commit.  They become your world.  Alec’s still teaching me that.”

“Yeah,” Henry sighed.

“How is your son doing with all of this?”

“I think he’s confused, hurt and angry but he did hug mom last night before he went upstairs.  Maybe that’s a good sign.  He doesn’t hate us.”

“He’s a good kid, Henry.  I’ve watched him all summer.  He’s been a good influence on Alec.”

“Be sure and tell mom that.  She raised him.  Everything good about him came from her,” he sighed again. 

“Not everything.  He’s a lot like you,” I smiled.

“Are you trying to tell me I need to have the boy neutered?”

“Henry Lodge, there’s more to you than that and you know it,” I laughed.  “You’re being too hard on yourself.  You’re a good man, a decent, kind and caring man.  So is your son.”

“Thanks,” Henry smiled slightly. 

“I should tell you I suspected something like this,” I admitted.

“What do you mean?  You suspected Thomas was mine?”

“When I found that picture of you as a kid…” I started.

“That’s why you were asking me all those strange questions,” Henry exclaimed.

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“You didn’t seem to think it was strange how much he looked like you.  You didn’t seem like man trying to hide something.  I figured if he was yours and you were keeping a secret I’d be able to read it on your face.  You know what a bad liar you are,” I explained.