Chapter Five

Jillian

What is it about teenage boy’s that makes them think their parents are so oblivious?  Don’t they realize we were young once too?  In the week since we’ve been at Summers End, Alec has gone from sullen and mopey to lovesick.  I think it’s cute how smitten he is with Thomas and I think Thomas will be a good influence on him.  They’d probably be mortified if they knew I was on to them but it’s a secret I’m glad to keep so long as they seem happy.  Frankly it’s a breath of fresh air. 

Alec has been so unhappy since being kicked out of St. Albans and I can’t say that I blame him.  I don’t think he could have been more embarrassed then when the headmaster made him tell me why he’d been expelled.  I wasn’t concerned about his homosexuality. I think I’ve always known my baby was different. What concerned me was his casual attitude about sex.  I’ve had the talk with him.  I know he understands the dangers but that didn’t stop him from having oral sex with a boy he hardly knew in a semi-public locale. 

If Alec has a fault it’s his hot blooded nature.  He’s always been a passionate boy and maybe that’s my fault?  I know I’ve over indulged him over the years but the truth is I do feel guilty for dragging him around the world while covering one story to the next.  Military school isn’t the place for him.  That was his father’s idea and I made the mistake of agreeing.  I’m sitting in the study again and I’m watching the boys play catch out on the expansive lawn.  I haven’t seen Alec this happy in a long time and I think maybe it’s time to give up the life of the globe-trotting journalist and focus on being the mom he needs while I still can. 

“Oh this is a good one,” said Mrs. Lodge.

“I’m sorry, what?” I replied as she brought my attention back to the project at hand.  We were going through decades of Lodge family photos that I might use for my book on Henry.

“This is a picture from Henry’s first campaign for the House.  His father promised he’d raise all the money Henry needed to win but Henry didn’t want to run a flashy television campaign.  I think he drove that silly little convertible to every town in the district but it worked.  People really responded to him,” said Mrs. Lodge as she handed me the picture of a smiling Henry waving from the driver’s seat of a red convertible with a magnetic “Lodge for Congress,” sign stuck to the door. 

“He’s always had a way with people.  Even back in college,” I agreed.

“I wanted to ask you dear, were you and Henry…”

“Ever an item?”

“Call it a mother’s curiosity,” said Mrs. Lodge.  I think there was more to it than that.  Helen Lodge was an astute woman and based on things Henry’s mentioned over the course of our friendship, his mother is well aware of his promiscuous past. 

“Briefly.  If things had worked out differently, Alec might have been his,” I stated.  “But we discovered early on we worked better as friends then as a couple.”

“It’s funny, you’re just the kind of woman I’ve always wanted for him.  Smart, pretty, and I’ll wager you never put up with any of his funny business.”

“I assure you Mrs. Lodge, I’ve never given funny business any quarter.” We laughed together. 

“I do so look forward to meeting Christine this evening,” said Mrs. Lodge.  Henry called earlier in the week to announce he and his fiancé would be visiting for the weekend.  He said it was to go over some details for the book and make sure I was getting the information I needed but when we spoke I got the distinct impression he was worried about introducing Christine to his mother.  It’s so refreshing to see a grown man still afraid of his mommy.