Chapter Seven

Alec

We were running very late and the three of use built up a considerable sweat on the way back to Summers End.  James handled the bikes for us when we returned but we had to hustle in order to shower before we left for the city.  Christine really surprised me and Thomas; she was a lot of fun and had both of us laughing at one of her stories as we headed for the stairs.  We found Senator Lodge coming out of the study with my mom when we entered the foyer. 

“Where have you guys been?” asked Senator Lodge.

“Thomas took us on a bike tour of the island and introduced me to your old piano tutor,” Christine explained.

“Oh God, you’re not going to ask me to play, are you?” the Senator cringed. 

“Not if the stories I’ve heard are true,” Christine snickered.  Thomas and I both giggled.

“Hey, I’m not that bad, right Tommy?” said the Senator.

“Well, I uh,” Thomas squirmed.  “I uh, think I hear Mrs. Lodge calling me.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, buddy,” Senator Lodge shouted after him as Thomas darted into the study. 

Christine kissed the Senator and took his hand.  They went upstairs together to get ready while Mom crossed the foyer and hugged me. 

“What was that for?” I asked.

“I just wanted to give you a hug,” said Mom.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“Still having a good time?”

“Sure, it’s great here.” I beamed.

“Wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain green-eyed pianist would it?” Mom grinned.

“Aw, Mom, geez.” I blushed.

“What?  He’s smart, cute, and such nice manners.”

“We are so not having this conversation,” I exclaimed. “I’m not talking about boys with you.”

“Why not?” asked Mom. “I know a thing or two about boys you know?”

“AHHHH,” I screamed and tried to make a break for the stairs but she caught my belt loop and pulled me back. 

“Alright, I won’t make you talk about him.  Just be careful, ok?”

“Careful of Thomas?” I asked, confused.

“Of this,” said Mom as she patted my chest just above my heart.

“What are you talking about?”

“Honey, I know you’ve done…things with boys before,” said Mom, making me blush.  “But I’ve never seen you like this.”

“Like what?”

“So happy, so…in love.”

“Oh.  Well, I’ve never been in love before,” I admitted. 

“Thomas is a nice boy and I’m glad he makes you happy.  I just don’t want to see you with a broken heart.”

“He’s not going to break my heart, Mom.  Thomas is a really special guy,” I explained, blushing the entire time.  “Can we please talk about something else though?  This is so weird.”

“Fine,” Mom giggled at my embarrassment.  “Has he mentioned his father at all?”

“Who? Thomas?”