Comfort

Teresa

I knew that Thomas and the other Gladers would probably want nothing to do with me anymore, but I had kept myself occupied with testing formulated cures with my favorite patient, Cheyenne, who had been infected with the Flare virus three weeks ago. She had been fun to be around, full of life and energy and joy. Earlier today, she had succumbed to the virus, losing herself and becoming a crank, meaning that she was too far gone for a cure to work. Not long after I witnessed that, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, since I had also been attacked by one of my old friends, Minho, and he screamed at me that I was a traitor. I knew that I was a traitor, but it really stung, coming from someone that I once thought of as a brother. Anyway, I was walking away from Cheyenne's room when I walked into someone going the other way. She was carrying a tray of serum vials, and when we collided, they fell to the floor and shattered, spilling the serum all over the floor. "Oh no, Janson's gonna kill me," she said, getting on her hands and knees to try to clean up as much as she could. I got on my hands and knees and helped her out. We were able to get some fresh vials to put the spilled serum into so it could be filtered later, and we got it all cleaned up. "I'm Teresa Agnes, by the way," I said when we were finished, holding out my hand. "I'm Gabrielle Hansen. It's nice to meet you, Teresa," she replied, shaking hands with me.

After a meeting with Dr. Paige, I came across Gabrielle again, and we decided to chat for a little bit. I learned that she had been one of the Creators of a different Maze for WCKD to use on another continent, and I found my attention drifting away from what she was saying. Instead, my attention turned to her appearance. She was a sweet looking woman with a polite smile, brilliant emerald green eyes that almost seemed to look into my soul, and her hair was mostly brown with some hints of blonde scattered throughout. She was a little shorter than I was, but she was extremely beautiful, to the point that she could've been a supermodel in an earlier time, before the solar flares ravaged the Earth. She seemed to notice that my attention had wandered, because she gave me a cute little wave to get my attention. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get distracted just now," I said. "It's alright, I understand. I used to have a girlfriend when I went through the Maze Trials, but she died saving my life right after we managed to escape," she said. "That happened to one of my fr - one of my old friends, Thomas. He had a friend named Chuck, and he jumped in front of Thomas when he knew that he was about to get shot," I said. "We've gone through a lot of the same things, it seems like. By the way, why did you correct yourself when you mentioned Thomas?" She asked. "Well, I... want for a better word, I sold them out to WCKD to try and keep them safe, but the looks on their faces when they found out that I had told WCKD where we were, those looks have haunted me in the months since. I'm scared that they want absolutely nothing to do with me," I said, trying to keep back tears. "Listen, your heart was in the right place when you did it. I'm sure that if you explain that to them, they'll understand," she said, putting an arm around me comfortingly.

I was surprised when Gabrielle offered to walk home with me, and I found out that we lived in the same building, right across the hall from each other. I invited her to spend some time at my place, and she accepted the offer. On the way, however, I saw Thomas standing across the street with a hood on. I pointed him out to Gabrielle, and she looked curious. He turned around and started walking away from us, so we went after him, with me calling his name along the way. He led us into an alleyway before he lowered his hood. "Do you regret it?" He asked me softly, which normally would have made me feel tingly, but this time it didn't. "Sometimes. There are times that I wonder how things would be different if I hadn't done it," I said. Thomas didn't respond, then he raised his hand and motioned to someone to come over to us. The next thing I knew, I couldn't see anything.

When I could finally see again, I realized that I was tied to a chair, with Gabrielle beside me. I recognized Thomas, Newt, Minho, Brenda, Jorge and, much to my surprise, Gally, who I thought was dead after being impaled by a wooden spear shortly after we escaped from the Maze, at the same time that Chuck had been shot by him. "Gally?" I asked in surprise. "Yeah, it's me. Where is WCKD keeping the Immunes?" He asked me, and I instinctively looked over at Thomas. "Don't look at him. Why are you looking at him? Look at me," Gally said, returning my attention to him. "They're in Sub-Level 3," I said simply. "Sounds simple enough," Newt said. "It's not that simple. It's a restricted area, and you need a thumbprint to get inside," I said. "So we take her with us," Thomas said as Gally stood up. "We don't necessarily need to bring her. Just a fingerprint, right?" Gally asked, holding a scalpel in his hand. "Woah, woah, woah, that won't be necessary, Gally," Thomas and Newt both cautioned. "Fine. There is one thing that we still don't know how to work around just yet, though. We've still got our WCKD trackers on the backs of our necks," Gally mentioned. "I can take care of them," I said. "How can we be sure that you aren't going to try anything when you do that?" Thomas asked. "I won't try anything beyond removing your trackers, I promise," I replied. "Good enough for me," Thomas said.

"Brenda's looking better. When was her last treatment?" I asked Thomas casually while I was removing his tracker. "Not since we last saw you," he replied. "But that was months ago. She should've turned by now," I said, and my mind came to a shocking conclusion: the treatment that Brenda had received had contained some of Thomas' blood, which could mean only one thing.

Thomas wasn't an ordinary Immune. He was the Cure.

----

Okay, this story is a bit of a different one from my other Maze Runner fanfiction. I hope you enjoy it. Until next time!