fifteen: the third task

June 1995.

Charlotte and Sirius had fallen into a steady routine. Even after Harry had returned to Hogwarts for his fourth year, he remained with her in her little townhouse. It was strange at first. Charlotte had been so used to an empty home when Harry wasn't around, but she was quick to grow used to having him to come home to.

Her rule of Buckbeak the hippogriff remaining outside in the yard had been forgotten in the first week, with the beast taking up the third and last bedroom in the house that Sirius had neglected. The first night, he had fallen asleep next to Charlotte in her bed as they spoke, her filling in minute details of her life for the past twelve years, and he had never bothered with the guest bedroom since.

It was strange, too, having another person as a parental figure alongside her in Harry's life. Like in everything, she was used to braving it alone. It hadn't been harder, but it hadn't gotten easier either. It hadn't helped that Sirius never grew out of his childish mischief. When they first received word from Dumbledore that Harry had been selected to participate in the Triwizard Tournament, it wasn't concern for their godson being mysteriously chosen despite all, but pride. He had cut out all the Prophet headlines that covered Harry throughout the tournament and kept them tucked away in a drawer in the bedside table.

Sirius' pride in Harry only grew with each and every task he completed. It had grown to the point where he had shown up entirely in red and gold colours when they visited to observe in the morning of the third task.

"You're going to embarrass him, Sirius," Charlotte said as they wove their way past students in the corridor to make their way towards the chamber where the families of the champions were supposed to meet. "Look, all the kids are staring at you."

"They're staring because they all still think I'm a mass murderer," Sirius said as they entered the chamber. All the other families were already there; it wasn't hard to tell them apart. The Krums had given them a nasty look as soon as they entered, and the man had muttered something to his wife as they turned away. Similarly, the blonde mother of Fleur Delacour had stuck up her nose as she ignored their presence, as if she smelled something nasty in the room. Charlotte already known Amos Diggory from the Minisitry, and he seemed to be the only one that was going to actually speak to them had he not been interrupted by the door slamming open. Soon, three of the Champions poured in. It took a few minutes, but eventually, Harry finally came through the door.

The shock on his face was almost comical.

"You didn't think we'd miss this, did you?" Sirius had said as Harry approached. Charlie quickly pulled him in for a hug.

"No— I just thought— Well, after everything, didn't you want to lie low for a little while?"

"And miss the chance to come and support you?" Charlie retorted. The smile on Harry's face was wider than she'd ever seen it before.

"Why don't you show us around?" Sirius suggested. "It's been years..."

Harry was quick to agree, and together the three of them took their time strolling the castle for the better half of the day.

"So when were you going to tell us about your little lady friend?" Sirius asked as they walked out onto the grounds.

Harry huffed. "Hermione's not my girlfriend, Rita Skeeter has it all wrong."

Charlie merely laughed. "Yes, she's known for stretching the truth quite a bit at the Ministry. Can't believe people still believe what she puts out. I reckon people just want a little bit of dramatic entertainment in their lives, regardless of if its true."