Babysitting

Three weeks after Lexi's truancy scare, things had settled down for the bizarre NCIS family. She had taken a turn for the better in terms of her attitude and was more optimistic than ever before. Jen noticed more of a spring in her daughter's step and was happy to note that she seemed more relaxed about the men being gone.

Lexi made sure to apologize to Tori for pressuring her to cover for her skipping. Her easygoing cousin forgave her immediately, much to Lexi's relief. Tori knew full and well the director had already lit into her and didn't want to add any more stress to it.

Abby was impressed with the teen's attitude as well as how helpful she had been to her when handling rambunctious little Annie. So impressed, that she offered a proposal.

"Me? Babysitting?" Lexi repeated in surprise.

"Yes you, silly!" Abby chuckled. "You've been such a big help to me and Tor since Timmy has been gone. Tori is starting her swim season, so she'll be gone until around 6pm 3 days a week, and I work, obviously. So I was hoping you'd be able to pick Annie up on your way home since our houses aren't far from the schools. You're so good with her, I figured you'd be the girl for the job! And, I'll throw in an allowance for you every week."

Lexi mulled this over. She loved helping Abby, and she adored her spunky niece. Softball season wasn't for another 4 months, so she definitely had loads of free time til then. And it would only be 3 times a week for a couple hours each. Besides, her Dad, Tony and Tim should be back by the time conditioning started.

"Sure, I'll do it, Abs. But you don't need to pay me," Lexi shrugged.

"Nonsense! What better way to learn responsibility than good old fashioned babysitting! It was my first ever job when I was your age, and I made sooo much money," Abby scoffed.

"Okay," Lexi giggled.

Abby put her arms around her little sister. "I appreciate you so much, my dear sister. I'm so proud of you for how helpful and sweet you are."

Lexi grinned and hugged her back. "Thanks, Abby. No problem, I'd do anything for you guys."

And she would. She loved her family, and with her dad and brothers out somewhere on a mission, she was determined to step up and help wherever she was needed.

The Monday after, Lexi left her school and made her walk towards the nearby elementary school where Annie attended. She looked by the bus loop in the sea of kids before spotting Annie, who was waiting with a group of kids and her teacher.

Annie spotted her and sprinted over with a squeal. "Lexi! Lexi! Lexi!" she yelled, hugging the teen around her waist.

"Hi, Annie bananie!" Lexi greeted with a laugh. "How was school?"

"It was good! We learned about symmetry and shapes today!" Annie raved, pulling out a paper with a bunch of colorful shapes pasted to it.

"My teacher said I had the best symmetrical drawing in the whole class!" Annie said proudly.

"That's awesome! Good for you!" Lexi praised, taking her hand and waving to her teacher.

As the two walked, Annie chattered about her schoolmates and various other topics. Lexi loved to hear the childish babble and gave the respective cues. She reminded her so much of Abby, and was so happy to see that the little girl had adjusted well since being adopted.

"I miss my Daddy lots," Annie said sadly, as they crossed a nearby street.

"I miss him, too," Lexi sighed. "And I miss my Dad and Tony, too. But you know what? It's just us girls til they get back. They're out doing guy stuff."