열여덟

Anger snapped behind his sternum and Seonghwa snarled, shoving at Hongjoong's chest.

"So?" he challenged, glaring up at Hongjoong. "Why do you care?"

"I care," he snapped back, "about you making dumb decisions that you're going to regret! I don't know why you keep making these choices-"

"Shut up," Seonghwa hissed, cutting him off.

"How do you fucking know I decided to kiss him, hm? Maybe Jackson kissed me-"

"Because I know you, Seonghwa," Hongjoong snapped, and the words were like a slap.

Seonghwa felt them echo inside his chest, a numbing pain, as Hongjoong seemed to realize the harshness of what he'd said.

He looked Seonghwa up and down, hesitant, and tried to save it – "You were on his lap, Seonghwa. It's not a hard guess."

Seonghwa ignored his second sentence completely.

"You know me," he repeated, and tried not to let the hurt show – but his anger had completely deflated, leaving only the acidic cocktail of guilt and shame in his stomach.

Tears welled in his eyes again and Seonghwa couldn't look at Hongjoong directly, so he stared at the empty wall of the hallway opposite of them.

"Right." He tried to laugh, and it came out wet and weak – "Know what, Hongjoong? That I'm just a fucking slut who throws myself at people when I'm upset?"

Hongjoong shook his head.

"That's not what I meant, Seonghwa-"

"Isn't it?" The prickling in his eyes got to be too much and Seonghwa blinked, sending another wave of tears spilling over his cheeks.

But he could finally meet Hongjoong's eyes, so he did.

"Whatever, Hongjoong. Just because some people actually fucking like it when I kiss them, you asshole-"

His voice broke and Seonghwa couldn't continue.

He choked off the rest of his sentence, shaking his head suddenly.

But when he opened his eyes, Hongjoong was staring at him – something had burst to life in his eyes, a shock of understanding.

He wasn't angry anymore, Seonghwa thought.

No, he looked guilty.

"Seonghwa," he breathed.

"I didn't- oh, God, I didn't know you remembered that-"

Seonghwa laughed again, but the sound was wet and hurt.

"Like I'd ever forget that."

He sniffed, rubbing the heel of his hand over his tear-slicked cheeks, and took an unsteady breath.

"Whatever, Hongjoong. Leave me alone."