Chapter 10 - The Great White Shark

The next morning everything is quite different. Unlike the usually invisible barrier, she'd grown to adapt inside the house and to her new job. Dorian's confrontation with the Mortimors shifted the scene into a much lighter, open form of interaction for the both of them.

After Dorian finishes her chores, Wilhelmina and Magdalene invite the younger woman for their tea time on the balcony facing the back garden. Living in the house has had Dorian familiarize the natural schedule of her new surroundings. For instance, she could tell that it was already three in the afternoon without looking at the clock because the sun is starting to shine directly at the nearby river, causing its small currents to sparkle brightly in their view.

Despite the sun hitting directly at the ground, the air didn't feel humid because of the light wind blowing by. Even though she's not saying anything both Wilhelmina and  Magdalene notice that Dorian wants to say something but is hesitant.

Until the woman musters the courage to speak up: “What was your life like Ms. Mortimor?” Dorian asks, looking at them.

The sisters knew that she would be asking more questions.

‘There's no turning back now,’ - Wilhelmina thought.

‘You lend your part, first,’ - Magdalene telepathically said to her sister while she was sipping her tea.

The personal aide looks back and forth at the duo curiously.

The sisters stared at one another for a moment then Wilhelmina finally spoke: “Obviously it was far too different than it is now...”

~~~

Wilhelmina (Flashbacks):

‘We both came from a long line of bankers, financiers, traders, and businessmen. Our family is rooted in the nobles of your dear country, Dorian. Our family came from the 12th Century of Switzerland. The later generation migrated here to America to double their fortunes.

Our father, Roderic-Isaac Mortimor was a crafty man. His cunning machinations have his older brother, James removed as Chairman and Chief Executive of the family bank. He even went further by destroying his name from the bank's illustrious history.

“Isaac, this is madness! You're my brother!” James Mortimor said as the guards forcefully escorted him out of the building, tackling both of his arms as if he just gotten caught committing a murder.

But Isaac Mortimor; his blonde hair slicked back, wearing a black tuxedo, with a cigar in his hand showed no emotion written on his face, just pure cold and calculating... Despite his dodgy behaviour, the press depicted him as a god.

Father became Isaac Mortimor the ‘Great White Shark’ of Manhattan's world of high finance and commerce. Since women back then focus their lives on social status they gather around him like a swarm of bees.

But our mother, Annie Bohlin, was far too different from the New York roses that were flopping around the city's debutante circle. Mother was an American socialite educated in both Germany and France. She was fire, vibrant, intelligent, and had this exotic quality that our father could not resist. It was a quick passionate love affair within just two months, the couple decided to wed. It didn't take long before her belly started to swell.

“Mr. and Mrs. Mortimor, I am pleased to inform you... That you're having twin babies!” The doctor exclaimed in excitement.

“Ha! My boys! Our boys!” Isaac exclaimed happily, then kisses his wife.

Isaac Mortimor was proud he wanted his twin boys to become the ‘princes’ of the family bank. Even bragged to his fellow businessmen that the firstborn will be the manager and the second-born twin will be the banker. Then the awaited day finally arrived. When he barged into their room, Isaac saw Annie holding two newborn infants in her arms. Reading the expression on his wife's face, he immediately realizes and understands the result.