Chapter 15 - Wines and Chocolates

“Hmm, nice and smooth...” Magdalene said as she inspected the glass of red wine she had. As a woman of luxury, she could not believe how lucky she and Wilhelmina are to have a sommelier as a personal aide. Not only is she good at the chores but as well as providing the best selections of vino.

“What is it?” Magdalene asks.

Dorian answers: “It's a Merlot, madam,”

Dorian stood up to show the bottle to her employer. It's a cursive label, printed in bright red letters: Domaine de Triennes Merlot.

“I can taste some chocolate in it,” Magdalene said as she swirls her glass in absolute satisfaction.

“I thought you might like some of it for today,” Dorian nodded.

“In fact! Some other wines in the cellar have the notes of chocolate in them!” Dorian added.

“You've checked the cellar?” Magdalene said, the sommelier nodded.

“I've been, since day one...” Dorian said as she shifted a little.

“Hmm, that's alright,” Magdalene nods in approval, as she affirms the woman's action.

Magdalene knows that Dorian has been sneaking up late at night to write her wine reviews in the darkness of the cellar. She and Wilhelmina don't mind of course, since they knew the somm has more discipline unlike the maids and the butlers they have back then.

“What are the others then?” Magdalene said.

“Well, there's Australian Shiraz, Rhône-valley blends, and Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon,” Dorian said.

Magdalene, however, wanted more than that, she wanted to test Dorian's prowess. Give her something fiddly-fiddly to pair wine with.

“Say, have you paired wine and chocolate together?” Magdalene asks.

Dorian nodded in response, “Yes, they're one of the challenging pairs,”

“But can you do it?” Magdalene said.

“I could try,” Dorian nodded.

“Well then here's money. Buy chocolates, we are doing it,” Magdalene said, as she pulls-out money from her purse.

Dorian's eyes widened as she looked at the amount of money given to her.

“Ms. Magdalene, this is too much!” Dorian exclaimed in astonishment.

“I know,” Magdalene replied casually: “Purchase the highest quality of chocolate truffles you could find at the avenue not far away from the house.”

And off Dorian went outside the house with her scooter. The neighbourhood where the Mortimors live-in called the Village - is like an entirely new city in itself. It has its membership shopping mall, gym, amusement park, hospital, some villas, clubhouse, high-end artisanal shops, boutiques, and cafés: A haven for the affluent people who prefer a discreet lifestyle.

The historic townhouses and apartments, as well as the hush-hush, ‘Mind your own business’ attitude of the neighbourhood made it a perfect hub for the Mortimors to hide their vampiric status. Dorian returns home with a bag from a chocolaterie called, Linderton. She unpacks them, sets them on the plates, and prepares glasses, napkins, and wines to pair with.

Dorian finishes just in time for Magdalene and Wilhelmina to come down the staircase and go to the dining area.

“Everything ready! Oh and there's still some change left,” Dorian said.