48. It's Complicated

Ame hadn't been expecting the kiss from Charming. When he had leaned forward to press his lips to hers, she had stayed frozen for a second before eventually kissing him softly back. Their dancing stilled as the two of them kissed for a minute or two. Ame didn't know what had come over her. Normally she wasn't the overly affectionate sort of person, but yet here she was. As crazy as it all sounded, maybe Charming had become a human so that she wouldn't be alone. Maybe someone was watching over her, and Charming had been made specifically for her.

When they eventually parted from the kiss, they just stared at each other. Neither of them knew what to say to the other. Charming had a faint blush to his cheeks as he looked at Ame, reaching out a hand so that he could gently brush a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You aren't alone," he said, breaking the silence. "I will be that person for you if you will let me."

Ame looked at him for a moment as she reached up a hand to place her hand over the one that Charming had left lingering on her cheek.

"You're just saying that," she said. "Because you've never known anyone other than me and Ruby."

"Even if I knew a million people, there would be no one that compares to you," said Charming. "There is only one Ame, and I just took my shot with her."

She chuckled at his words which caused Charming's brows to scrunch up.

"Why are you laughing at me?"

"I just...I love how simple things - like locating a bag of nuts or trying on clothes - is so difficult for you, but saying such romantic things like that comes easily."

"It's just part of my charm," he said with a small smile which caused her to smile in return.

Ame moved to step closer to Charming, wrapping her arms about him as she hugged him tightly. Charming wrapped his arms about her back, pressing a kiss gently to the top of her head.

"I'll watch out for you and protect you," said Charming. "I promise."

"I believe you," she said. "Just don't disappear."

"I won't..."

They stood there in a hug for a moment more before Ame moved to start cleaning the apartment up. Charming followed after her, trying to help where he could. When the apartment was cleaned, Ame moved to test out Charming's futon. She laid back on it, staring up at the ceiling. The futon had been set up by the window so she could see the elongated fingers of the street lamp lights stretching across the ceiling. Charming moved to sit down beside her. He turned his body to look down at her lying down on the futon. It made him happy to see that there were no more tears in her eyes. Ame's gaze wandered from off the ceiling to lock with his eyes again. Charming felt his heart jump into his throat. What was this feeling he was feeling? He felt slightly nauseous yet excited at the same time.

"I don't know how you can stand this futon," she said. "It's kind of uncomfortable."

"It reminds me of home," said Charming.

"I should have made your cage comfier then," she said with a frown.

Charming chuckled, shaking his head.

"We don't have to talk about that anymore. That is behind us now. A lot has changed."

"Yes," she said, grabbing one of his free hands in hers. "And I like it."

She tightened her grip on the hand she was holding, tugging him down in the spot on the futon next to her. Charming allowed her to do so, lying down on his back beside her. He felt Ame adjust her hold on his hand, slipping her fingers through his. Here came the nausea again. He could feel the beef and rice trying to make a reappearance, trying to mentally calm himself down. Ame turned her head to the side to look at Charming.