Chapter The Third

Babylon 2297 BCE

It was a hot day, and Kaia wasn't sure she could take it any longer.

After Sumer fell, she had put herself more to helping human projects, working alongside them, at times almost more than Sersi. She believed that maybe if she was able to be a part of their creations, she could better keep her record.

Today she labored with the lowly, working alongside them in their efforts to continue the great gates around the city. Her powers were used little, and for once it seemed she was actually tired, but she continued on.

From the scaffolding where she stood, helping to move bricks and stones into place, she could make out the fields, green and lush, where other humans, Sersi, Gilgamesh and Ajak among them, tended to the crops.

When the sun began to dip in the sky, and became darkened by gathering clouds, the foreman called out for work to end, and grateful, Kaia joined the others in climbing down from the scaffolding, talking to a few as they returned to the city.

Druig leaned against one of the buildings just outside the work area, looking amused as Kaia hurried over to him, "Have fun?"

"Loads," She chuckled, taking the water bladder he offered her, "Maybe you should join in, could make it go a lot quicker."

As they began to move down the street, he shook his head, "Why do you insist on doing their work, their labor?"

"Why does Sersi work the fields? Why does Ajak tend to their wounded?" She shot back.

"Alright, alright, fair enough." He chuckled.

She grinned in triumph.

Druig glanced over his shoulder, back at the construction, "It's comin along quickly. Blue and gold though..."

Kaia chuckled, "Yeah... think they fancy Ikaris?"

"Oh lord, he finds out and it'll go straight to 'is head."

"'S already gone to his head."

Druig bumped his shoulder against hers, nodding up the street, "Speak of the devil."

"And so shall he appear," She muttered, "Odds he's looking for Sersi?"

"Oh, that's not a bet I'll make, who needs to wager when it's a known truth?"

Through the crowded street, Ikaris seemed to spot them, quickly heading in their direction.

Druig groaned, only to be cut off by Kaia's elbow when Ikaris got closer.

"Have you seen Sersi?"

Kaia smirked up at Druig, before looking at Ikaris, "Um- yeah, I think she's still out in the fields."

Ikaris huffed out a thank you before hurrying on, leaving Druig to roll his eyes, "He's obsessed."

"And you wouldn't be?" She scoffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He chuckled.

"Well- if you had someone like Sersi, wouldn't you go seeking her? I mean, I do recall you saying 'I'll always find you', if that's not similar than I don't know what is."

Again, Druig rolled his eyes, this time at the smirk on her face, "Oh shut up."

"That didn't sound like denial to me." She said in a singsong voice, starting to walk again.

Druig just shook his head, moving to catch up with her.

"Why is it, exactly, you find it fun to do their work?" Sprite asked, frowning across the table at Kaia.