Chapter The Fifth

Athens, Greece, 468 BCE

After the Huang He river, Druig and Kaia stayed closer than ever, and now, Kingo and Phastos seemed to have found some sort of explanation that put their speculation to end. Perhaps it was in the way that while life for the Eternals went on, and after Kaia's recovery the only noticeable change in her and Druig's behavior seemed to be the way they could both be seen emerging from Kaia's room in the mornings.

No one else seemed to notice, or care, and as soon as Kaia was ready to fight again, and the Eternals traveled to Greece, where the masses of humans were sure to attract Deviants, and they had access to just about every other major city within a few weeks by mortal travel.

The humans here were thriving, and the Eternals moved through their crowded cities with ease, introducing new ideas, and all but waiting for a Deviant attack.

Athens had to be one of Kaia's favorite places that the Eternals had stayed, with its wide views of the surrounding hills, and sprawling markets full of colorful goods. Not to mention the philosophical and technological ideas that moved through the city constantly.

Today, she and Makkari were visiting a smaller village, outside of the main city, looking for an artist whose work had caught Makkari's eye.

"You're sure they said this village?" Kaia signed, looking around.

Makkari nodded, "His studio should be here. Go ask someone."

"Why do I have to ask?"

"You speak Greek, they speak Greek, when have you ever found a human that signs?"

Kaia couldn't argue with that, so, with a sigh, she moved toward a group of women near the well that stood in the center of the village, "Excuse me? I'm looking for a sculptor, Polykleitos? I was told his studio is located here."

One of the women smiled, "Oh- Polykleitos creates his works in the house overlooking the sea. It's just down there."

Kaia's gaze followed where she pointed to, and nodded, "Thank you, it's much appreciated. My friend is very interested in his statues."

"Tell her she'll need a steep fee to get one." One of the other women chuckled.

Kaia nodded again, moving back to Makkari and signing, "His studio is this way."

They moved down the road, and off on the fork that led to the sea, following its turns until they reached the house, Makkari quickly drew to the pavilion on the side of the house, where a few finished and unfinished sculptures sat.

"Can I help you?" A man asked, coming out from the house as Makkari began to browse around at the work.

Kaia chuckled, "Yes, my friend here is interested in your work. Are you selling?"

"I suppose," He said, offering a hand out for her to shake, "Polykleitos."

"Kaia. That's Makkari."

"She seems to be... a critic." He said, watching as Makkari squinted at each statue.

Kaia half nodded, "She can be. How long have you been sculpting?"

"A while. Long enough to go from smaller clay busts, to full body statues like you're seeing there. I haven't done anything large in stone except for-"

He was cut off as Makkari clapped her hands to get their attention, pointing at one of the statues, "I want that one. She's gorgeous."

"- except for the marble amazon." Polykleitos finished.