Chapter The Fifteenth

Iraq, 2023 ACE

Ikaris had left, Sprite with him, and then of course, Kingo had followed, refusing to continue on with the plan if there was a chance of killing the celestial. Kaia sat, listening as the others argued over what to do, Sersi trying to deny that she could never change a live form again.

"It's okay, Sersi," Druig was sighing, moving to sit beside Kaia, "I got this."

Still, Sersi turned and left, trying to collect her thoughts.

Kaia frowned, pulling one knee to her chest, murmuring, "She needs to realize her full power."

Thena nodded, starting out of the room to find her, "She will."

Druig sighed, bumping his shoulder against Kaia's gently, "You doubting my powers?"

She shook her head, "It's impossible to stop an Emergence without killing a Celestial. If no one can accept that, then we are doomed to fail."

Phastos let out a loud sigh, "Do you have to be so depressing? Like all the time?"

"The world is going to end if we don't get our act together, and you want me to be lighthearted?"

Phastos didn't reply, suddenly absorbed in his work again as he had a realization. After a few moments of fiddling, he stood, rushing out calling, "Sersi! Sersi we need you!"

"Looks like he figured it out." Druig chuckled.

It didn't take him long to return, Thena and Sersi following behind. Using his powers to quickly fashion the bracelets, Sersi looked around, "Suit up, it's time."

It felt strange to Kaia, having her suit form around her on The Domo after so long. Still it felt like she was finally home again. When Phastos handed her one of the circlets of metal, she frowned, "Phastos- it won't work... I'm not one of you properly."

"We still have to try." He insisted, slipping his own onto his wrist.

"I was made to absorb power. If I somehow manage to connect... there's no saying I wouldn't, just... I could screw up our chances at doing this."

"That's a chance we have to take."

As Phastos moved away, Druig turned to her, taking her hands in his, "Kaia, you are nothin like those deviants.-"

"I was them- I am them," Her voice dropped to a whisper, "If you were to remove every other variable, and Kro managed to kill any more of you- or even the enhanced humans... you would hardly be able to see the difference between he or I."

He sighed, leaning his forehead against hers, "You are better than he could ever be. You need to remember that."

Kaia half nodded, but still, only attached the cuff to her belt, "I don't want to risk your being wrong..."

An Island In The MIddle Of The Indian Ocean, 2023 ACE

Thena and Phastos remained on the ship, as Makkari, Sersi, Kaia and Druig went down the craggly, rocky coast of the volcanic island. From where he and Sprite sat, on one of the ridges, Ikaris watched The Domo grow closer.

With a sigh, he stood, "Protect the Emergence."

"You're really just gonna kill them?" Sprite asked softly.

He gave no answer, instead, flying off toward the ship. Thena was waiting for him when he forced his way in through the roof, demanding, "Wheres Druig?"

"He's busy." She said, pushing off the wall she leaned against.

"Thena, play nice..." He warned as the sword materialized in her hand. He caught the blade before it could slash across his face, "You've never had to fight me."