Picnic with Ronye

Roney's POV:

The girls had filled me in on this ordeal with Kirito.

I loved him so much, but this was strange to me.

The Star King and Queen, it was unheard of for them to be separated, at least when she was here. They had such a long happy marriage.

What's crazier is we were still under King Kirito's rule, no one had seen much of him since Queen Asuna had passed. Kirito tried to explain to the human realm that she was gone but wasn't really, which we didn't understand. Yet, we still watched him grieve her for decades, he refused to remarry.

So when Leafa and Sinon told me this was Asuna's idea...

I walked up the stairs to the Orthodox Church where the King stayed during the day to monitor this world.

"Your majesty." I made myself present.

"Ronnie! Good to see you. What's the matter?" He greeted.

"May I ask? Is it ok for us to c-c-court this evening?" I stumbled. The word was foreign on my tongue.

"Court?" He asked, taken aback. This struck fear into my heart. I thought he had agreed.

Tiese, another valet, ran up to me in the church.

"RONYE! Ope. Excuse me, Sire".

"What is going on?" The King furrowed his brow.

"Uhhhh. Kirito is here to see you?" These said confused and in awe at the same time.

A shorter, slimmer Kirito came through and past Tiese's shadow. His jaw seemingly dropped as well. We were looking at the "Real World" presence of the man I loved. The him I recognize from years ago.

"Ah." The King shook off his confusion. He had no concerns.

"How is this possible? Is this a glitch?" The smaller Kirito whispered under his breath.

"No. I am your consciousness copied into a false soul. I am the you that had aged past 200 years. I was copied. Asuna was not. I was starting to wonder when we'd bump into each other"

"So wait. With Project Alicizatiom and all, they copied me to do what exactly?" the young man said with anger in his tone.

"My knowledge being too great was the only reason I was given. The act was indeed non-consensual, but we knew that this would happen.". 'We', referring to both Kiritos. "I'm still here to protect the people of the Underworld as I promised. It's better this way anyways. A soul couldn't live as long as I have".

The Kirito of the past looked like a million thoughts were coming across his face all at once.

"Ladies, please excuse us for a moment. What's this about Courting Ronye I hear?" The older Kirito continued intrigued. The redhead valet exited the church in respect. I stayed around the corner stubbornly to listen in. Was I in trouble?

"It was Asuna's idea to have me go on dates with other girls to make sure that I have my mind made up on her."

"And you agreed?!"

"She didn't give me an option".

"Past me, let me give you some advice. I have lived a long life. For most of it, I've lived with Asuna. You know you love only her so why would you even entertain the idea of loving another? You know that she thinks you're doing this because you are confused now, right?"

"I don't know. I don't know how I feel or what to tell most of the girls. I just don't want to hurt their feelings."

"Kirito. Do you remember why we joined our first guild back in SAO...?" The King's voice had lowered solemnly.