Light

Alec surveyed the landscape outside the window, arms crossed over his chest with a flash of discontent skating by the blank facade. In light of the attack – which was all we could call it as Alec hadn't given us any more information – Aro had given him instructions to read the Cullens in on the current threat assessment.

He had watched me when I entered the room, and it was as if a part of him didn't want me to hear what he had to relay. I did not know whether it was because he thought it would scare me or out of some misguided protective instinct. Whatever it was, he looked away the instant our eyes met and I remained in the dark.

We were gathered around the family room in the house. A well-loved light blue piano was in the corner, leaving room for the sitting area. Emmett had claimed it, leaning on top of the instrument and flexing his wrists impatiently.

My eyes moved through the rest of the coven like a checklist, yielding to my bias and picking Jasper out next. The blond stood stoically in the doorway, lost in contemplation. Alice appeared behind him not a moment later, moving a phone from her ear and slipping it into her pocket. She placed a hand on Jasper's forearm. He tilted his head down to her as the girl nodded and smiled reassuringly at him, their own non-verbal language. I didn't miss the glance she sent my way, as if she knew something I didn't. I wondered just how much.

Esme had set a cup of tea in front of me before sitting on the loveseat opposite. The mug was thick, the kind that wouldn't shatter into tiny pieces if you dropped it. I didn't touch it for fear that it might. Still, the gesture was more than appreciated, and I hoped I'd communicated it well enough with a mere "thank you."

Alec was right; the Cullens were very good with humans.

Carlisle and Rosalie were the last to enter. He greeted his wife directly across from me, and to my surprise, Rosalie proceeded to join me on the couch without a word. Despite the new arrivals, the silence prevailed, and I allowed myself to check in with our storyteller.

Like a moody teenager, he knew he could avoid his orders no longer. "What do you want to know?" Alec aimed his question at Carlisle, but it seemed to open questions up to the other Cullens. Before anyone could reply, Carlisle responded.

"Why don't you start at the beginning. Aro has shared only what he deemed to be necessary details."

Alec responded indignantly, "I am to answer questions, not tell bedtime stories–"

"Alec." The scolding came naturally but unexpectedly from my throat. It was almost as if he were testing their loyalty. Though Aro did not seem to doubt it, Alec had made it crystal clear that he did not have faith in the Cullens. Even if he'd been forced to trust them with our lives. But he knew I wanted answers as well.

He stared right back at me until, to my immense surprise, he faced around and gave the Cullens his full attention. He delved right in, "we began receiving reports nearly a year ago regarding small groups of newborns, untrained and careless, appearing in small provinces in northern Africa and spanning well into Austria. Mere nuisances, but a suspicious increase nonetheless. Our guards would clear one collection, only for another to rise in the following weeks.

"It became predictable, but we were unprepared when one of our scouting teams was attacked. A single guard returned with a taunt from his assailants that claimed we were 'missing a few'." There was a few perplexed looks around the room, but I lifted my chin. Alec was sharing the details I had only guessed at when these events occurred, and so much had happened since then, I could hardly remember. Surely, the Cullens had no need for this much detail. Was he doing it for me?

"It was not until we managed to capture one of the newborns' creators that we understood the message. His name was Zafir, and he and other vampires had been creating newborns, keeping a favourite, and leaving their mess for us."