Jury

~Theo~

Alec darted back towards the clearing where his mate and sister remained, but for the fifth time, he was outmaneuvered by the largest of his companions. The Herculean man grabbed the boy's shoulder before sending him flying backward into another tree. The oak tree shivered yet held its own.

Alec collapsed on the ground, covered in pine needles and snarling. "You cannot keep her from me."

"I'm keeping you from her," the man said almost lazily, folding his arms across his chest. I recognized him as one of the men from the airport hangar - when I was still human.

Their discourse was interrupted as a man with tanned dark skin joined the clearing, and he didn't waste a second. "Talib fears she has lost too much blood. We need to return to Volterra."

Alec stepped forward, eyes blazing. 

"Without you, Alec," the man continued hastily to escape the boy's wrath, "Your sister volunteered you to stay behind and ensure our secret is maintained." Clean up the supernatural evidence, I assumed.

"That is not her decision to make."

"It was your mate's suggestion," the man confessed after a pause. "It is too risky to take her to a human hospital. We must return her to Volterra immediately."

Alec curled his lip, ready to take on all three men to reach his mate. Each of the men, in return, lowered into stances prepared to defend. Their eyes darted to the forest floor around the boy every few milliseconds.

"Fine." Alec straightened up, back tall, as if his feral rage were a distant memory. "Inform the Cullens that Volterra requires their assistance." His companions displayed no hint of surprise or doubt about the boy's new-found control, though a hesitance hung over the group. Alec's eyes flashed, "Go."

The quiet one spoke up, the one they called Prosper, "I will remain with you."

Alec said nothing to contradict the others, ignoring them as the quiet one and the giant exchanged nods of understanding.

One by one, the remaining guards followed suit until it was only Alec, with Prosper standing watch.

There was silence when they were alone, sans my spying eyes.

"This is Silvertongue's betrayal, not yours."

"And yet it is my venom in her veins." Alec snarled, spitting out a mouthful of venom as if to rid himself of the taste of his mate's blood. "I will never be rid of this tainted ambrosia." His vampire side would never have let a drop remain on his tongue. Yet, still, he tasted the inside of his mouth as if the crime stained the gummy interior. His guilt had manifested, flooding his senses with despair.

Prosper waited patiently. His fingertips betrayed this outward facade, tapping together at a nearly imperceptible speed while he scanned the perimeter. His eyes darted near me, and I ducked. If I was seen, he said nothing.

"He knew too much." Alec hummed, almost to himself.

Prosper's tone turned almost venomous at this detail, "What did he say?"

"I should have trusted you..." The boy did not answer, preoccupied with his own thoughts, "You have always placed my mate's safety above your own existence – above your own mate."

Prosper took care in choosing his words. "You chose her to guard Saffiya. It is only natural to defend your judgment."

"I wish to hear it from her," Alec growled lowly. "She must confess."

"I am afraid the opportunity has passed," Prosper informed. "Percy was our only casualty. Given my suspicions, I highly doubt it was by chance."

Exasperated, Alec bent over, bracing his hands on his knees. "Razin eliminated his spy before we could." He shook his head and reiterated, "I should never have doubted you."