Caution

This was different.

For quite possibly the first time, the curtains on Alec's windows were pulled wide open. His back was facing me as his head angled down at the streets of Volterra below. He sat in the window nook, bracing his left side against the glass, his trousers somewhat wrinkled around his folded knee. Even as I entered, Alec's eyes remained on the Volturi's city below – Gatsby, without a light and as still as a statue. His chest was still, and he didn't even try to claim fresh air before my scent filled the room.

I leaned back against the door. Something about his stillness made me hesitant to go any further. I assumed he had heard his sister and I's conversation, but whether he allowed himself to listen until the end was another matter.

Alec spoke before I could think of an icebreaker. Straightforward and to the point, "My sister may have been ready to share her part, but I am not prepared to do the same."

Jane's recent warning ran through my head.

"Alec will remain somewhat timid to offer his side. He will likely wait and assess your reaction to my story." She scrutinized me as I dropped my head in consideration with a hint of dismay. "I would take care to reserve your questions for the future – I know you have them."

I opened my mouth to ask just one, but she raised her hand. "I am done, Sister." I lifted my head up and down. She watched me for a second more before she, too, disappeared. Leaving me wondering if sharing her story had been the right or the wrong thing to do.

Alec glanced over, taking me in as I reflected but searching for my reaction to his words. I was only slightly aware of the sleep shorts I still wore, but enough to cross my arm over my body. I was more focused on the conflict in his tone. "Not yet."

I did my best to swallow my disappointment, trying to remind myself it wasn't about me. I knew Alec's retelling would be shorter, neater. Jane and I shared the same propensity for details that Alec did not have the patience for. And just because his twin had been willing to share, her brother was clearly in a different place regarding their past. Just as Jane had prepared me for. And that was

"Okay."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Okay?"

I shrugged.

"You fight me on everything."

"Not this," I breathed, trying not to give in to the contemptuous energy enveloping him. I hadn't quite expected it. Then again, he had been stewing in here while Jane and I experienced entirely different emotions on the other side of the door.

He directed his gaze back out of the window. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he actually wanted me to argue.

"You cannot say nothing." I raised my eyebrows at the monotone snip but refrained from crossing my arms. He needed no further prompting and continued. "Either be angry with me for confining Jane to the castle or pity me for my past life," he spat venomously. He kept his eyes on the city below as he demanded, "but you must say something."

Fine.

"Well, you've nixed one of those topics already." Alec scoffed, dropping his head against the side of the bookcase. "And I think Jane about covered anything I'd say." He barely acknowledged me, and I kept my voice even to add, "and I think you know that."

Alec stood abruptly, flashing across the room, shrugging off his coat jacket, and tossing it over the couch. An action he'd once scolded Jane for doing in the main room. It made me think twice about engaging in this dialogue, but I no longer had that option.

"I should not be surprised. I know you are angry with me." He continued before I could dispute the statement, "you always are."

I did a double-take, "that is not fair."