Young

"You can't pretend it isn't a possibility."

"I do not intend to," Alec assured the man like one would an impertinent child. "Your timing is convenient." His sarcasm was discourteous.

Whoever Alec was speaking with did not appear to be concerned about being on the receiving end of the boy's short temper. "You need to be more careful." The voice warned, aggravation ringing clear in his tone.

"I do not require a lecture, Cullen."

They seemed to have moved down the hall, and my curiosity got the better of me. I abandoned my chair and moved beside the open door. I knew they could've heard me, but both men were rather focused on their conversation, and there was no pause to indicate that I'd been discovered. I sat beside the door and leaned against the wall, trying to even my breath as I listened in.

The man kept pushing, "I was constant, frustratingly vigilant when Bella was human. If she had Saffiya's condition...." I strained to hear the end of his sentence to no avail. But, Bella. I knew that name. Alec scoffed, but the man was ready, "you came to me once before." This must be Edward, then.

"It is a settled matter."

I breathed in and out to control my heart, mimicking an unconscious pace in case they did decide to see if I was still asleep. The man I now assumed to be Edward took another approach. "Bella has offered to speak with Saffiya. It could help."

Alec responded without patience. "I won't have your mate filling her head with lies. No."

"Bella was struggling as much as I was." I'm not struggling.

Alec responded with similar spite, "I am not struggling. My control surpasses anything you could ever hope to achieve."

"You wouldn't be so arrogant if today had ended differently." That shut Alec up, and I was almost incensed by the statement, even if it was valid. "Maybe your control is greater than mine was. But when her blood is spilt, its call is stronger than you are capable of combating on your own."

Alec snarled lowly at the suggestion. He would never allow anyone in Volterra, save the obvious, to speak to him like this. Let alone stay in a hostile conversation where he did not have the upper hand.

Edward continued as if he were answering something Alec had said, but I hadn't heard anything. "Actually, I'm the only one that does." His voice lowered a last-ditch effort to get through to the red-eyed vampire.

There was nothing for a second, but I could finally make out Alec's voice modulating purposefully, "she is listening."

My heart jumped. Just once, I'd like to eavesdrop on a conversation without my useless organs giving me away.

I heard an unfamiliar chuckle as I pushed the door and poked my head around the corner from my spot on the ground, trying to convey my half-apology through the expression on my face. Alec and an unfamiliar, thick browed, golden-eyed vampire, already expecting me. The unknown male seemed amused as his eyes flashed between Alec and me.

"You are meant to be asleep," Alec chided. I stood and leaned against the doorway like a child trying to pretend they had no idea the cookie jar existed. Yet, the shift in his demeanour was instantaneous, and I caught the other man keeping watch over the process. Alec's crossed arms fell, and with them, his shoulders rolled back. He breathed out with his reprimand, but nevertheless, he raised his hand out for me to take, and I drifted to his side without another thought. Even though they'd been somewhat arguing, I was much too curious and eager to meet another of the Cullen clan.

The man offered me a kind smile. "You must be Saffiya."

"Saffiya, this is Edward. One of the many, many Cullens." Edward ignored his comment.