Colors

Prosper was like a substitute teacher. He had the best intentions, but the real teacher forgot to leave a lesson plan, and he couldn't find the television remote to turn on some dumb movie for the day. So, he decided to get a head start in spending our time with the guard, calling it a change of scenery.

The decision to have Prosper take over my protection had been made just in time, as Prosper was prepared to leave and meet with John that very hour. He assured me he would still go, just after Jane returned. Alec refused to call a meeting before his sister's return, but Prosper suggested the team touch base after such groundbreaking news. Luckily, Alec agreed to hold one the following day, but he had to be talked into allowing the three Reserve Guard members to attend. Prosper did that too.

Alec was rather moody when we all parted ways.

The others always said the guard's half entertainment room, half sparring arena, was where everyone hung out in their free time. I thought they were lying because it was practically empty every time we were there. Aside from the tryouts Alec forced Demetri and Felix to hold. Though forced was the wrong word, seeing as they had a little too much fun bossing the other guards around.

This time, however, it was a hub of activity. Most of the shiny wooden tables were taken, the Victorian style allowing for more private and individual work. These tables were occupied by individuals engrossed in their own semi-solitary activities. The coffee table in front of the television had been overtaken by an upside-down puzzle, which two guards were taking their time to put together. It was such a menial, mindless task that I couldn't help but find it charming and almost humanizing.

Prosper led me into the room and right down the center, but the only attention we received was brief glances. Normally, they stared.

"It's Alec they're afraid of. Not you."

We had come to a stop at a sectioned-off area that I was positive had not been here before. It gave the impression of increased privacy, being cut off from the path. Two velvet couches faced each other and were adorned by double armchairs on either side. I glanced back and forth over the room, realizing this was where the rounded tables had been before Talib threw Felix off the sparring mat. The table had been destroyed, which apparently meant they all had to go.

Three laptops were spaced out equally on the coffee table in the center, and Renata sat crossed-legged on the floor, leaning against the couch as she scanned them. Papers and folders were neatly organized around her and slipped under the table. I blinked, realizing it was Renata who had spoken. Her eyes were intensely focused on one of the screens while she typed on another computer.

Prosper gave a fake cough, and she looked up. "No offense."

I smiled gratefully but thought it was better not to excuse the statement for Alec's sake. I was certain the existing state of affairs was something he would like to change once I had the power.

Once she was satisfied I wouldn't run and tell Aro on her, she addressed Prosper. "Is this a good idea?"

I sat beside her at the corner of the table, entranced by the multiple screens. The one she'd been focused on was zoomed in on a news article in another language – Urdu, I think – and where she'd been typing was a formatted document. Which was in bloody Italian.

Prosper shrugged, taking his own seat in a velvet chair, his military persona unusually relaxed. "Aro's orders."

A burst of wind came across the table not a second later. Hamzah seemed to almost stumble as he joined us, the most unvampire-like thing I could imagine. He rubbed the back of his neck, almost too eager for his own good. "Does that mean we can say hi?"