Chapter 5

Colin Bowler

Everyone stood in the center of the office quietly

Everyone stood in the center of the office quietly. Occasionally, the sounds of feet shuffling broke the silence but nobody spoke. They all crowded over each other awkwardly as they watched Robbie's silhouette sat behind the desk underneath the shadow, sipping a glass of whiskey. He had his back on them as he stared out the tinted window towards the gates of Atland. He put the glass on his office chair arm rest, his hand still on the glass to keep the balance and his fingers traced around the rim of it. After a while of awkward silence, Robbie spun his chair around towards the group. His face faintly visible in the shadow. He made eye contact with Sheena, who was standing right in the middle.

"Are you going back?", he asked with a soft and quiet voice. He kept his eyes on her. Sheena shifted her balance awkwardly, her one hand in her pocket and the other gripping on Saiko's hand.

"How bad is it?", she avoided answering his question with a question of her own. Everyone else kept their silence.

Robbie took a long sigh and rubbed his thumb and middle finger on the space between his eyebrows. Then, he looked up again, "40 casualties: 34 deaths and 16 injured. Half the village was burned down." His voice was still quiet but tense. The Red Room was attacked a few hours ago. The news spread out like a plague because no one ever bothered to attack the Red Room before. It was just a small village and there wasn't much to take from its people. Plus, no one wanted anything to do with the Pariahs.

"If we go back now, there's no way we can come back in without risking another attack on the way," said Saiko who was still holding Sheena's hand.

"But it's our home," Ara protested.

"I know that but what about our plan? If we fail there will be more deaths, not just the village but this city is going to corrupt even more."

Robbie took the last sip of his whiskey and put the empty glass on the desk in front of him. "Guys, I appreciate your concern," he spoke up, "but I can manage to proceed with the plan on my own. It is still your home after all. You should be there as support."

"We divid the group," Katlyn gave them an idea. Everyone turned to look at her. "Me and Ara will go back to the Red Room. The rest of you stay here and help Robbie with the plan."

"I don't want you helping me anymore." Robbie's response surprised everybody. All their attentions fell back to him.

"What do you mean?" Sheena asked.

Robbie fell back in his chair, his expression changed but nobody saw it in the dark. "I put my men out for an impossible mission. That was my mistake. I shouldn't have underestimated the enemy. Letting my guard down is one thing. It's highly unlikely but I don't want to risk making the same mistake with you guys. I think it's best if you go."

Billy let out a scoff, "we'll take that risk. We're the ones who signed up for this. We're not gonna back down, not now, not ever."

"Plus it wasn't your fault," Saiko added, "you didn't know it was gonna happen."