Chapter 7: Once Blood Brothers

It had been three years since the war broke out

It had been three years since the war broke out. Everyone who were at the age of 16 were drafted into the army. Mostly boys but some number of girls were also dragged into the fight. A year ago, when Robbie turned 16, he followed his friend into the army who had been there two years before him. The two boys were inseparable despite one being two years older than the other. They grew up together, they were like brothers to each other. Robbie was only 14 when the war started. But Castle being 16, was drafted and they said their temporary goodbyes. Robbie swore that he will follow Castle when he was old enough.

It was mid July. The two boys sat beneath a tree, taking shelter from the hot summer sun above. Other draftees roamed the training field around, talking, pushing and shoving each other jokingly, some laugher would break out here and there, some others were training for hand to hand combat. Senior officers walked around the field making sure to keep the trainees in line. "One! Two!" the commander yelled out as a group of boys did push ups. "COME ON! THIS IS THE ARMY NOT A PLAYGROUND. AND YOU'RE SOLDIERS NOT KIDS! WORK HARDER!" He would yell as an encouragement.

Robbie sat back leaning against the tree behind him. He let out a sigh as he stared up at the branches above him. His arms rested on his knees and his gears laid beside him on the ground. "I wouldn't complain if it wasn't this hot," he said to Castle who was sitting next to him, chugging a bottle of water.

They had just finished their first training session of the day and they were taking a break before they another. The sun showed no mercy to the trainees and neither did the commanders.

"What are you doing here anyway? Your training was done months ago," Robbie turned and looked at Castle. His blond hair in a buzz cut made him look silly.

"I'm not about to leave you out here for the older guys to skin you. They're ruthless," Castle replied. He turned to Robbie and their eyes met. Castle's hazel eyes shone bright under the sunlight.

Robbie chuckled, "we both know that's not true. You would totally leave me for the lions to eat."

"What!? No I wouldn't! How dare you accuse me of such thing?"

Robbie laughed, "come on, seriously why?"

Castle rubbed the back of his neck and looked down at the ground, "I may or may not have gotten into trouble," he answered, little bit of proudness in his voice.

"You're always getting in trouble. There's nothing to be proud of."

"Wasn't my fault this time."

"Whose fault it was doesn't matter here. You know that." Robbie often had to keep Castle in line. Even as kids, Castle was usually getting in fights with the older neighborhood children. "We're not kids anymore."

Castle stood up, his shadow fell on Robbie blocking the sunlight from his face. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Now get up. We gotta go," he said as he held out his hand to Robbie.