fourteen!

gracie's pov: 

Labor Day, 2002

recap:

over the summer, I traveled to France, Italy, Greece, the United Kingdom, Spain, and lastly, Ireland. I had a blast, but most importantly I got all my community service hours complete! but besides that, I spent all my days doing new things! it was the best time I've ever had.

but when we arrived at the Hartford airport, I saw a familiar brunette woman with a younger girl who had my exact face! I dropped my bags and tackled them. "oh, oh! luckily there are video cameras everywhere that caught that very graceful moment on tape." I exclaimed. "I am so glad to see you! I'm never leaving home again." I added. "oh, that's my emotionally stunted girl! we got you gifts." mom replied. "what? I'm the one that left town, I'm supposed to get you gifts." I replied. "oh, but I got here early and there was nothing to do except feed gummy bears to the bomb-sniffing dogs which the United States government frowns upon." mom replied. "you got in trouble with the government while you were waiting for me?" I asked. "just a little." Rory replied. "how much is a little?" I asked. "Learn Russian. Okay, here you go," mom said pulling a sweatshirt out of the gift bag and handing it to me. "Wow, a Hartford, Connecticut sweatshirt!" I exclaimed. I went through the bags saying, "Hartford, Connecticut notebook, Hartford, Connecticut pencil set, a Hartford, Connecticut shot glass." "And beer mug!" Rory added. "Hartford baguette, Hartford bear, a Hartford sunglasses." I replied. "you like?" mom asked. "I love!" I exclaimed. "all right, let's go. we'll get your bags, then we'll hit the road, and I can't wait to hear all about Europe." mom replied. "my bags, please?" I asked. "are you telling me that you want this gesture of love for free? what kind of world are you living in?" mom asked. 

finally, we got home and I exclaimed, "I can't believe I'm home. I feel like I've been away forever." "I agree," mom added. "hello living room," I said, stepping into the living room. "hello, we missed you. Not the ottoman, of course, but everyone knows he's a snob. Napoleon complex, he only really likes the magazine rack." mom said, pretending to be some kind of household object. "oh my God, I missed everything. my kitchen." I said. "okay, I'm gonna go change," I replied. "for what?" Rory asked. "the festival," I replied. "hon, you know what, if you don't wanna go, we don't have to go." mom suggested. "why would I not wanna go? of course, I wanna go." I questioned. "you just got home," mom pointed out. "no, I wanna go. I wanna go because this is our town and we need to support these things." I replied. "all right, but, you don't have to change for that," mom pointed, while we walked upstairs into my room. "well, I've been away for a while, I wanna make a nice impression." I replied. "on who?" Rory questioned. "whoever has to look at me," I replied. "all right, just hustle. I promised Jackson and Sookie I'd pick them up along the way." mom replied. I pulled out my green laced top and jean shorts from my suitcase.