fifteen: those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

labor day, 2002

gracie's pov:

then I donned my dirty white converse and headed into town. "hey miss patty!" I exclaimed when I saw miss patty at the dance studio. "hey darling!" miss patty replied, waving. "oh hi there Gracie!" boostsy exclaimed, also waving. "hi!" I replied. "hey Gracie! how was Europe?" lulu questioned. "great! see you later!" I added. "hi sugar!" Fran called out. "hi!" I replied. "come for a piece of pie later!" Fran added. "okay see you then!" I exclaimed. "good seeing you grace!" gypsy exclaimed. "right back at you!" I replied. the town was decorated with tents, balloons, and they even had a band singing 'those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. it was spectacular. "Okay, so, do we do cheese stick, hot dog, cotton candy, or do we mix it up a little, start with the cotton candy and end with the cheese stick?" mom asked when we got together into the town. "who are you looking for?" Rory asked when she saw me looking around. "no one, I'm just taking in all the madness, that's all," I replied. " Taylor, is this where the mosh pit starts?" Mom asked Mr. Doose when he strolled up to us. "well, hello Lorelai, Rory, and Gracie. so what do you think of the band?" Mr. doose asked. "mm, I sure do." I replied. "what?" Mr. doose asked. "what? I'm agreeing with you. They are smokin'," I replied. "I do not care for that sarcastic tone, Grace." Mr. Doose replied. "You have an opinion on everything. Nothing is ever up to your standards," he added. "that is not true. I'm sure these guys are all great barbers." I replied while he left. I turned around and saw jess making out with some random blonde chick.

 "what?" mom asked. "oh, well, looks like he's got his what I did this summer' essay all researched and ready to go. guess you dodged a bullet there, huh?" mom added. "what do you mean?" I asked. mom replied, "I don't know. It seems kind of lucky that you didn't throw everything away for Jess when you see..." "what am I seeing?" I shot back. "you are upset. I know when you're upset," mom replied. "oh God!" I exclaimed. "what is it?" mom asked. "He?" she asked. "obviously!" I replied. "you're upset about Jess?" she asked. "I said yes," I replied. "yes, it's Jess?" she questioned. "you're not being funny." I shot back. "It's not my fault that yes and Jess rhyme. did I exploit the opportunity, of course, I did, but, come on. I know you had this past relationship, well, I thought it was over. I mean, you haven't talked to him since, new york." she replied. "I'm just going to ignore it. I'm fine. check on Sookie, I'm calling Taylor." I said, walking away. when I was far enough away, I pulled out my cellphone from my pocket. "hey, tay?" I questioned. "ya, what's up?" she asked. "come to the ice cream shop next to luke's, it's jess. call everyone and have them come as well, he's moved on." I replied. "on it be there as soon as possible." she replied. 

"hey," a familiar voice whispered in my ear. I turned around and of course, it was the only jess. "what?" I asked. "nice to see you too," he said, as we crossed the street. I tried to ignore him, but he kept on yapping saying, "wanna hook up later?" "why would I want to do that?" I asked. "cause I'm back, your back, we can get back together," he offered. "not really," I replied. "what do you mean?" he asked, as we sat at the counter. "rootbeer float please," I suggested to the waitress. "cause you were just making out with that blonde chick," I told him. "so? I was just supposed to wait around for you?" he questioned. "here you go! on the house for the festival," the waitress replied. "thank you!" I replied. "yes pretty much," I told Jess. "that doesn't make any sense," he replied. "then I guess you've never been in a healthy relationship," I replied, taking a sip out of my ice cream. "ah," he replied, taking out his book from his back pocket. "ever read 'the fountainhead'?" he added. "no," I replied. pretending to sound uninterested besides the fact that Liam has suggested it multiple times and it's on my reading list. "wanna borrow it?" he offered. "nope," I snapped. "I gotta go," I replied. I left the soda shop and didn't look back once.