Chapter 6

Javier was washing up after María's dinner when Claire emerged from putting her down. She could feel how tense he was from where she stood, and her expression morphed into one of sympathy.

"You didn't have to do that." She said softly as she made her way over to you "You should be resting."

"Wanted to keep myself distracted." He mumbled, not taking his eyes off what he was doing.

"Distracted from what?" She asked and he sighed "From her?"

This grabbed his attention and he looked over his shoulder at her.

"I've seen the way you look at her." She said simply "You're in love with her."

"Yeah well..." He paused a moment, returning his attention to the bowl in his hand "It's one-sided."

"I don't believe that." She said, shaking her head.

"Well, she rejected me when I lay my heart out for her so I'd say that's pretty solid proof." He scoffed.

A hand on his shoulder pulled his attention away from the washing up and to the woman beside him.

"Then she's an idiot." She stated.

"Claire," Javier warned as she stepped closer to him.

"You're a good man Javier." She said as she leaned in a little closer "You deserve to be happy."

"Claire, what are you doing?" He asked, his body tensing as she closed the distance.

"Distracting you."

As her lips pressed against his, all he could do was stand there in shock. Finally, his brain caught up and he pushed her away, a gasp grabbing his attention and he turned his head to see you standing there. Crying.

"I knew it couldn't have been true."

Javier felt sick as he watched you sprint out of the apartment. He called after you but you didn't stop so all he could do was chase after you. He pushed through the pain, he needed to reach you but despite his best efforts.

He was too late.

"Yes." You said as you nodded at Jason "I'll marry you."

The man was too overjoyed to notice the agent stood there but your eyes locked with his, only looking away when Jason kissed you.

He turned away. His heart shattered into a million pieces as he walked back in to see Claire standing there.

"Get out." He growled, "I no longer, have need, of your services."

"Javi-"

"GET OUT!" He screamed and she flinched.

"Please... I didn't mean-"

"To fuck up my chance at happiness?" He spat, venom dripping from every word "I told you I loved her! Now she's going to marry him." He spat as he pointed in the direction of your apartment "Get out of my face."

Claire grabbed her bag and left. Leaving Javier to sob openly in his kitchen as his grief took hold of him. He wanted to go over there and tell you nothing happened. He wanted to scream it in your face but he knew that it was too late now.

You saw what you saw and he would have to live with the consequences. Even if they didn't belong to him.

He stood there in silence for a while before Steve burst through his door, Connie pleading behind him to stop.

"What the fuck is your problem?' Steve spat, his eyes burning "She came here to tell you she loved you and you were kissing the nanny?" He spat "You're a piece of shit Peña."