Chapter 4

Dr. Karev ran across the entire hospital while being yelled at by nurses along the way. He could not believe his eyes. Alex thought he must has been lacking sleep; or coffee. He thought she was gone for good. Out of breath, he spotted his blonde friend from the end of the hallway.

"Mer!" he shouted.

His heart pounded. Meredith looked at him with a puzzled look. Alex dragged her to a corner.

"What is it, Alex?" she asked. "You look pale."

"I think I just saw Izzie," another puzzled look from Dr. Grey. "Pretty sure I'm not hallucinating. She is Derek's replacement isn't she?"

The blue-eyed doctor gasped in realization. She couldn't believe it either. Could it be that her husband's replacement is Izzie Stevens? It totally made sense.

"Do you know anything about this?" Alex continued. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Alex, shut up," Meredith cut him off. "No one told me about about his. Not even Derek."

"I need some air."

Arizona stopped at the coffee stand near the hospital. Her head was pounding and the morning traffic in Seattle was not helping. She groaned as she walked towards the main entrance. Callie walked by with her tablet. The Latina noticed her on her way in.

"Hey, Arizona. You okay?" she asked, noticing the blonde's dark circles.

"Yeah," she said, gravelly. "I went out last night..."

"Oh? Alone?"

"With a friend," she answered. "I need to get to work, I'm already a few minutes late. Dr. Herman will kill me."

Callie pondered. Who could that friend be? Has Arizona moved on? It hadn't been long since they've separated. They have not talked about dating other people yet. But even she wasn't ready to move on. How can Arizona start to date someone else?

"Meredith!" The blonde doctor called down the hall. Izzie rushed to catch up with her old friend who continued walking. "Meredith."

"Izzie?" Meredith turned to see a familiar face standing beside her.

"Hi." Izzie smiled, not knowing what else to say. They hadn't seen each other or spoken in almost 6 years.

"What are you doing here?"

Meredith tried not to seem angry but she was. Izzie had disappeared from her life completely and all she could say was "hi". She'd ruined Alex who had spent the last couple years trying to repair his broken heart. He was finally in a good place and then Izzie appears. Izzie fricken Stevens. She'd missed so much, she didn't know Meredith was know a proud mom of two wonderful kids and that her marriage was a balancing act she felt could tumble over at any second.