Chapter 5

Jackson sat next to April. He held her hand and rubbed his thumb over hers hoping to reassure her. The nurse had walked out after telling them the test results. Nothing was wrong. The couple stayed quiet for a while, letting the news sink in.

"You're right."

"What?"

"We should keep him. We love our little boy and you know what, as long as we do this together maybe a little miracle will happen and it will be fine," he babbled on.

"I love you," April interrupted.

Her husband cracked a smile. It was moments like these that reminded him why he married her. April felt the same. They were each other's anchor when things were hard.

Jackson leaned in and caught her lips into a kiss.

Izzie slowly opened her eyes to sun pouring into an unfamiliar room. She looked around and tried to remember the events of last night but could only summon bits and pieces. She knew this was Meredith's house which helped. At least she hadn't gone home with a stranger. She summoned strength to sit up and walk to the kitchen. Thankfully, it was behind the couch she had seemingly passed out on. She looked and saw three small children sitting at the kitchen table.

"Oh my god!" Izzie was taken aback, she looked scared. She was scared.

Who were these kids? The kids all looked at her. Sofia and Zola both screamed, Bailey began to cry. Meredith rushed into the room, toothpaste all over her mouth and a toothbrush in her hand. She had a look of panic but once she entered the room it turned into a look of relief.

"Is everything okay? Meredith!" Callie called from the top of the stairs.

"It's fine!" Meredith yelled back. She wiped her mouth on a dishtowel before picking up her young son and attempting to sooth him.

"Who are these?" Izzie whispered to Meredith.

"That's Sofia, Mark and Callie and Arizona's kid. That's Zola she's mine and Derek's. And so is this one here." Meredith's regular voice had slowly morphed into her "mom" voice. She cooed at Bailey who had stopped crying and began to laugh.

"What's his name?" Izzie asked.

"Bailey." Meredith smiled.

"Like, after our Bailey? The Nazi?" Izzie was shocked.

"It's a long story. Look, can you hold him? I gotta finish getting ready for work." Meredith said, passing him off before Izzie could even agree.

Jo went downstairs after having a shower, trying to wash away everything that had happened between her and Alex over the past few days. She saw Alex alone at the kitchen table, going over patient notes while drinking a coffee.