Chapter 8

Unbearable.

That was the only way she could describe this...party.

When Rosetta invited her to tea with some of her friends, Maxi made the mistake of looking forward to the event. Of course, she should have taken into account the severe amount of disdain her sister held for her. Though even if she had been wiser, it wasn't in her place to deny the invitation. So her choice was already made either way.

Earlier being lead into the room, she couldn't help but look around in astonishment. She had seen it occasionally over the years but was never allowed to visit and those small glimpses were nothing compared to being inside. Everything was themed in pale yellow; the bedspread, the sheen canopy over it, the curtains and pillows and table cloths and even her lamp was warm yellow. Maxi wanted so badly to snuggle underneath the warm covers and take a nap. Father never would have wasted such luxury on her. But with that sad thought aside, it was very beautiful.

The next the she knew, the nanny had shut the door behind her, forcing her to focus on the people present, not just the elegant decorations.

Rosetta sat like a king in the biggest chair. The two girls beside her were lesser nobles, but it didn't help that Maxi was technically higher rank than them- while both smiled, it seemed to her the good will and greetings were all fake. Or was it just paranoia? She couldn't tell anymore.

Attempting not to get too deep into her mind, Maxi tried to follow the conversation. But it was so difficult being the oldest daughter of Croix while simultaneously the least refined person in the room. Her dress was one of the old ones Rosetta didn't care for anyone, so it had to be out of style. The nanny braided her hair, but she had rushed, doing it so fast that they were uneven, one thicker than the other and Maxi knew she must look ridiculous. Besides that, she was more and more aware of the freckles spotting her face when she was faced with the three, who all possessed fair, spotless skin.

She wanted to talk and show them she wasn't strange, but anxiety from her stutter kept her mouth firmly shut. Regardless, Maxi could hardly relate to any of the things they were talking about, and had next to nothing to add. Why am I here?

There was an odd silence in the room, and Maxi realized she was slurping on her teacup. They were all looking at her.

Quickly she brought it down, too loudly clinking the cup on its tray.

"S-sorry." She whispered. Fearing that a berating was coming, she looked down into her hands, slinking back into her chair. Thankfully, one of the girls came to her rescue.

"Do you need more to drink?" Maxi had only begun nodding, but the girl, Mariya, was already making use of the teapot. Mariya was the same age as her, and it was easy to admire her confident disposition already, her straight, glossy black hair that stood out well against the red dress she wore, the heart-shaped face and intelligent hazel eyes she had. "These lemon cakes are very good too." Mariya used the spatula to lift a small one onto her empty plate, and Maxi thanked her.

Rosetta cleared her throat, and both of them shifted their attention.

"...as I was saying," Her sister turned back to the other girl, Nova, who used one hand to flip her dirty blonde hair behind a shoulder, eager for the attention. "You have a fiancé now?" Nova nodded so fast that her hair swept back into her face, and Maxi had to cover her mouth for fear of letting her smile show. It was sweet how excited the girl was.

"Well, we've really been engaged for a long time. Since we were kids- but on my seventeenth birthday, that's when the date was decided, just a week ago!" Nova clapped her hands in excitement, and Maxi was very happy for her.

"I-it seems y-you l-like him very much."

There was a weird, awkward beat of silence before the blonde turned to her and reluctantly responded.