Chapter 11

Staring up into the dark ceiling, Maxi could not stop the worries that held her mind hostage. Riftan said he wanted to go to her father as soon as possible, meaning literally the next day, but she begged him to wait a little longer so she could somehow devise a strategy. Still, she was no war general.

When he held her and kissed her, chasing the problems from her restless being, it was easy to let go of her troubles. But being back alone in her room, Maxi knew she would eventually have to face them. Forcefully or head on.

She tried to retire early just to relieve herself of those thoughts, but sleeping was futile. Laying in her lonely bed thinking of terrible possibilities over and over wasn't doing much to help the situation, either.

Then her mind wandered to Rosetta. Father was proud of her, father bought her nice things and took her out to meet people. He liked Rosetta, so perhaps her sister would know of some way to convince him. She was probably more accustomed to the Duke's nicer side- if it even existed.

Earlier, Rosetta had tried so hard to get it out of her. Especially when the girls left: 'I know you're hiding something, Maximilian' and 'Who is he' making fun of her, asking her if she was lying, constantly poking and prodding until Maxi was teary eyed and near ready to give it up. But the thought of being beaten stopped her from telling her sister so many times. Her father was a million times scarier than anything Rosetta could throw at her, even though she was totally freaked out and left feeling like an idiot.

Rosetta was usually a very calm person, but at one point she had sat up and drew her arm back, looking as if she were going to strike Maxi, do anything to get the answer, an incredible fear behind her eyes. Maxi flinched and tried to move out of the way, but her sister had already dropped her hand. Then Rosetta looked at it, at that hand which wore a fine glove to go with her gown, and laughed as if it were hilarious.

It was very weird, and no part of her earlier self would've imagined willingly going back to her sister's room after that. But here she was, putting her dress back on so she could march to meet her. She wasn't a warrior like Riftan, but she would certainly go into battle for their future. If there was the possibility Rosetta knew anything that could help free her, Maxi had to try.

She only stopped for a short moment before knocking on the door, and she heard a quick 'come in' being called in her direction. Well, if Rosetta thought she was a maid, Maxi wouldn't correct her.

Slowly turning the knob, she pushed her head through the opening in the door way. Her sister stood in front of her mirror as if she was waiting to be changed, but when she saw Maxi in the reflection, her face instantly became sour.

"Get out," Instead of listening, Maxi continued to open the door, and her sister stormed over. "I'm telling you to get out!" Rosetta tried slamming the door, but it caught on painfully on her leg.

"P-please, I n-need to talk to you." But her sister was blank faced, not letting up as she tried to shove and remove Maxi from the room, showing zero care for her leg. It would probably bruise, but she tried to ignore the pain, as her sister's attention needing catching. "I have a f-fiancé!" Suddenly the girl stopped, searching Maxi's face as if looking for lies. Then she quickly dragged her into the room.

"Who is it?" Rosetta asked immediately, shutting the door behind them like no struggle had just happened. Then she went back to the mirror, leaving Maxi to slowly follow after her. She watched with apprehension as her sister picked up a brush and began to run it through her smooth hair.

"I'm g-going t-to tell father." Rosetta paused, and it seemed some tension had went from the girl's shoulders. Not wanting to stand there awkwardly, she hovered a bit before sitting in one of the chairs, facing it toward her sister.

"I really don't care, then. You can leave." Letting out a huff, Maxi ignored her and began speaking anyway.

"F-father listens t-to you...if Rosetta c-comes with me then, m-maybe h-he will say-"

"No." Putting down her hairbrush with a loud thunk, the younger girl made sure to clearly and swiftly cut her off. It was not going how she wanted at all, not that she truly expected anything besides this to happen.

"W-what h-happened to being family?" Irritation bubbled in her chest as Maxi spat the words out, and Rosetta looked at her oddly through the mirror.

"Did you really believe me when I said that? You are naïve, but even so." As much as she hated it, the words stung. They had never been close, but Rosetta was acting even more closed off now, if possible, shutting her out while Maxi desperately needed her to listen. What other option did she have?

Swallowing, she tried to further convince her.

"H-he loves you. Even i-if s-something g-goes wrong, father w-will only...hurt me, s-so please, help me convince h-him t-to let Sir Calypse a-and I marry!" Her voice rose with each word, but Rosetta continued to have no reaction, even as Maxi was reeling with madness in her seat. It felt like years of frustration were being pushed out with every word. Maxi knew it wasn't Rosetta's fault that she was treated so much better, but even still, seeing her sister living in the lap of luxury and having no care for her, for the one thing she asked, made her so intensely exasperated that she could feel her whole body shaking in the chair.

When Rosetta finally turned and looked Maxi in the eye, there was a bitter smile on her face; and nothing to be seen behind her eyes except calculated movements.

"No one told me my sister was so funny," When Rosetta chuckled, it scared her. Maxi didn't understand what she meant, and the room felt chilled and closed off, even as it was spacious. She thought she might kneel over from the nerves coursing through her. "If you think I'd step out of line for you you're mistaken- Father despises Sir Calypse, so you have no chance. That's all there is to it. It would be best for you to forget about him and stay under the radar."

No way in hell.

She would not give up Riftan. The promise she made to herself rang in her ears, and Maxi would not quietly let her happiness fade away. Whatever it took, she wasn't going to stay in this terrible, God forsaken place.

Seeing that this visit wasn't helpful at all, Maxi got up and turned to leave. It was stupid to come here, stupid to seek help from someone she barely knew. They were sisters only in name, and maybe it was time she accepted that.

"Hold on," As she moved to turn the doorknob, she felt Rosetta's cold hand on her wrist. Maxi jerked away fast, looking back with trepidation. But her sister was only holding up a sheet of parchment and a fancy ball point pen, staring down at her with annoyance. "If you're really set on this...father can't stand your voice, so write what you want to say down. And be concise. If you mention my name, I will deny you."

Slowly taking the items, Maxi nodded. This was better than nothing.

"Thank you." After a moment's hesitation, she tried to pat Rosetta on the shoulder, but her sister swiftly backed away with a hardened expression.

"Just get out of here, and don't come crawling back when you fail. I won't answer."

The words felt like another slap in the face, but regardless; ducking out of the room, Maxi newly wished Rosetta had a knight waiting for her somewhere, too.