Chapter 4

LOS ANGELES, 2020
JULIE'S HOUSE

Julie was at her mom's studio singing a song that her mom and I wrote together. I couldn't believe it. I recognized the song all too well. It was "Wake Up", that song we wrote together.

Rose was in the hospital, and was sure she was gonna pass away, so she wanted to write a song for Julie and I to remember her, but she got stuck on some things, and I ended up helping her. About a week later.... she was gone.

I walked to the doors and just listened to Julie's voice as she played.

"Here's the one thing I want you to know, you've got some place to go. Life's a test yes, but you go toe to toe. You don't give up, no, you grow."

Memories came flooding into me. I remembered all the good times I had with Rose, when she bought matching outfits for Julie and I so we could dress up as twins for Halloween.

"And you use the pain, 'cause it makes you, you. Though I wish I could hold you to it. I know it's not the same, you've got living to do. And I just want you to do it. So get up, get out, relight that spark. You know the rest by heart."

Growing up with the Molina's was wonderful. They were always there for Gen and I, and we considered them family. They are our family.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do. Look out, look inside of you. It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain raising your voice to rain. Wake up your dream and make it true, look out, look inside of you. It's  not what you lost, relight that spark, time to come out of the dark. Wake up."

Sometimes, Julie, Rose, and I would spend the night in the garage, and stay up playing music. Julie would show me a new song she learned on the piano, and teach me some notes.

"Better wake those demons, just look 'em in the eye. No reason not to try. Life can be a mess, I won't let it cloud my mind, I'll let my fingers fly. And I use the pain, 'cause it's part of me, and I'm ready to power through it. Gonna find the strength, find the melody, 'cause you showed me how to do it. Get up, get out, relight that spark, you know the rest by heart."

When we met Flynn, Rose would always tell us to invite her over whenever Carrie, Julie and I hung out. She never wanted anyone to feel excluded. She didn't want anyone to feel ignored.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do. Look out, look inside of you. It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain raising your voice to the rain. Wake up your dream and make it true, look out, look inside of you. It's not what you lost, relight that spark, time to come out of the dark. Wake up. Wake up."

I kept getting chills. Julie hadn't sung since Rose passed, why now?

"So wake that spirit, spirit! I wanna hear it, hear it! No need to fear it you're not alone, you're gonna find your way home!"

A tear fell down my cheek, that was my favorite part of the song, and I could feel the happiness and sadness in Julie's voice as she sang.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do. Look out, look inside of you. It's not what you lost, it's what you'll gain raising your voice to the rain. Wake up your dream and make it true, look out, look inside of you. When you're feeling lost, relight that spark time to come out of the dark. Wake up. Mmm, wake up."

Julie played the last few notes on the piano, and that's when I let out a sob, so quiet it might've been silent. The next thing I know, I hear a whoosh, and the guys are standing next to me.