Chapter 16

LOS ANGELES, 2020
ELENA'S HOUSE

I wake up in my bed, and hop in the shower. Today's the day. It's the day that we say goodbye to the guys, I'm not ready, but they have to cross over. They can't be in pain when they leave.

I change into some clothes, and head downstairs to make some breakfast. I still don't know how I'm going to get through the day with Julie and I going at each other, but I'll figure it out. I always do.

"Nope. Take a seat, I've got breakfast." Gen says. She places a bowl of yogurt, topped with blueberries, bananas, and granola.

"Everytime you get upset, this cheers you up." She says.

"Aww, thanks Gen." I say, grabbing a spoon and digging in.

"So, do you wanna talk about why you were upset yesterday?" She asks.

"Uh, I guess I finally cried about Rose." I say. Gen frowns.

"Oh...El. I'm sorry, I forgot that one day it was going to sink in." She says.

The doorbell rings, and Gen gets up from her seat. She opens the door and starts talking to the person.

"El, it's Julie." She says. I look up from my bowl of yogurt, and walk to the front door.

"I'm gonna go do some laundry." Gen says, walking away.

"What do you want?" I ask Julie. She sighs.

"El...I'm sorry. I was so, so out of line last night, I was just upset. You were right. I was being selfish, and I see that now. When you left, I couldn't stop thinking about our fight, and I wish it never happened. I love you, Elena. And I don't ever want to lose you. Can you please try to forgive me?" Julie says.

"Julie. I'll try to forgive you, but it's gonna take time. I can't just get over what was said last night." I tell her.

"And I understand. Take all the time you need. But, I'm really nervous. The guys left this morning to try and get us a gig at the Orpheum, and they're not back yet. Can you come wait with me?"

"Sure." I say.

"Gen! I'll be right back!" I yell.

"Okay!" She yells back. I leave the house with Julie, and we head to her garage. While we sit, and wait for the boys to come back, I tell Julie about something I want to do.

"You what?" She asks.

"I want to sing a song for him." I say. Last night, I woke up around four am, and I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about the guys, and how they were leaving. I kept thinking about Luke. So, I pulled out my journal and wrote a song.

"I want to play it as a going away thing." I say.

"So, you want it to be just you two?" Julie teases.

"Julie!" I say.

"Okay, okay. But, do you really like him?" She asks.

"Yeah. I...I do." I say.

"Okay, wow. I was really selfish. You were losing a love, and I was completely oblivious."

"Whoa. I don't know about love..." I say. Julie looks me in the eye and gives me a look.

"Okay, maybe...it's a love." I say quietly. Julie squeals.

"I knew it! Okay, so just give me the look, and I'll get the guys out of the room, so it's just you two."

"Thank you." I say. Suddenly the guys poof in. Julie and I stand up from the couch.

"Oh my gosh! What took you guys so long? Did Willie do it? Did you talk to the promoter? Did they watch? Did they like us? Are we playing? Can somebody answer me? Why's no one saying anything?" Julie rambles.