Chapter 14

LOS ANGELES, 2020
ELENA'S HOUSE

The next morning, I woke up in my bed, fired from the night I've had. I open my bedroom door, and walk around the house quietly, seeing if Gen, and Hailey came home.

No signs of them, so I head back to my room, and hop in the shower. I change into some clothes, and head downstairs for some breakfast.

I walk out just in time for the bus to be there, and head to school. Once I get in, I head straight to my locker, and place my dress, for the dance with guys, neatly in there. I grab my books, and close my locker.

"Hey." Luke says. He was behind my locker door, and I didn't see him, until I closed it.

"Oh my- Luke. I swear, one day, you're gonna give me a heart attack." I say.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop." He says, laughing.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Well, first off, Julie isn't in trouble. She talked it out with her dad, and they're cool." Luke says.

"Oh, thank god. I thought he was gonna make her stop performing with you guys." I say.

"Me too. And, speaking of Julie's dad, he got us a gig." Luke says, excitedly.

I smile, "Cool! Where?" I notice that a few people are looking over at me, so I pull put my phone to make it seem like I was on the phone with someone.

"Uh...rude. I'm talking to you." Luke says.

"People are giving me looks. I'm doing this so people don't think I've gone crazy." I say.

"Oh, right." He says.

"But where's the gig being held at?" I ask.

"Um...her house." Luke says.

"Huh?" I ask.

"Well, hear me out. We're gonna throw a little garage party, and invite people there from school. And Julie's dad is going to record us and put it on the internet." Luke explains.

"Huh. That doesn't sound bad." I say.

"I know. So I was thinking, should we perform Edge of Great?" He asks.

"Yeah. That's a great choice." I joke.

"Ooh. Cringey..." Luke says.

I chuckle, "Shut up."

"Is that it?" I ask.

"Uh...yeah. Actually, no. Uh, I just wanted to say...I think that you make me a better writer. I've never felt as comfortable when writing music with somebody than I do with you." He says.

Butterflies. Okay, I admit. I officially have a crush on Luke. Oh god, what am I doing?

"Uh...th-thanks. We help each other out, so it's like we make each other better, you know?" I say. Luke smiles.

"Uh, hey. Why don't you just skip school? We can go home, and write more songs." Luke suggests.

"Trust me, if I could, I would."