Chapter 13

LOS ANGELES, 2020
JULIE'S GARAGE

After we got back home, we went to Julie, and told her everything. She realized that what she had said, although it felt right, wasn't. So, she agreed to rejoin the band.

We headed back to the garage to start rehearsing. I was sitting on the couch, thinking of more song ideas, but I was having trouble.

I couldn't stop thinking about Luke, and his family. The pain they're all going through doesn't sit right with me. I shake out of my thoughts when Luke poofs into the room.

"Whoa, guys." Luke says.

"Grab your guitar. We got work to do." Julie says. Luke looks at us, wondering if it's some sort of prank we're pulling on him, but then he chuckles and grabs his electric guitar.

"What made you come back?" He asks Julie.

"It was all thanks to El. She made me realize how important music is to all of us. And we've lost so much already. We can't lose this too." She says. Luke looks over his shoulder, and mouths the words, "thanks" to me. I nod, smiling.

"A'ight boss, where we at?" He asks Julie. I snicker.

"Let's go from the pre-chorus." Julie says. They go over the song a few times before Julie decides to get some snacks for us. Alex, and Reggie go on a walk around the neighborhood for some air, leaving just me and Luke in the garage.

"So, how'd you do it?" He asks me.

"What?" I ask.

"Julie's stubborn. How'd you get her to join the band again?" He asks.

"Uh...I guess I was just honest. We all need music more than we know, and it feels great to just express yourself through it. And besides, it wouldn't be the same if we all did it separate." I say.

I don't want to mention that I was basically spying on him just thirty minutes ago, so I think I'll just wait until the time is right.

"Thank you. Now, we can go play, and find ourselves a manager." Luke says.

"Like a birthday present." I say.

"Huh?" He asks.

"The guys told me it's your birthday. What do you wanna do?" I ask. He lays back on the couch.

"Hmm...I don't know. Just hang out, you know? Birthday's don't really matter to me." He says. My phone vibrates, and I check my notifications. It's Genevieve.

Gen
We're about to leave for the dance. Come say bye.

Elena
On my way.

I sit up from the couch.

"Where you going?" Luke asks.

"To see Gen, and Hailey off. There's a dance at their college." I say.

"Ooh, can I come?" He asks.

"Sure." I say. We walk out, and cross the street. I open the front door with my keys, and walk in.

"Gen! Hailey! I'm home!" I shout. Luke covers his ears.