E L E V E N

Gentle fingers running through my hair as he studies me quietly and the strange peaceful silence takes over the room.

'What is it?'

'Hm?'

'You are looking at me like...'

I am not even entirely sure how he is looking at me.
All I know is that the thoughtful tenderness in his eyes feels unexpected.

'You're beautiful, Teju.'

Something about the quiet simplicity with which he says it the matter of factness, makes my breath catch.

'Oh Thanks or are you one of those guys who need to be told they are "handsome"?'

'You can tell me whatever u want as long as you think I am Hot.'

His smile curves into its usual cocky tilt I am surprised how much I am starting to like that grin of his. Exhaustion makes my eyes heavy. I can hear Karan's breath begin to even into the slow, measured rhythm of sleep.

 I can hear Karan's breath begin to even into the slow, measured rhythm of sleep

A thick beam of sunlight wakes me up the following morning. I sit up, silk sheet pulling around my hips. The smell of chai drifts from the kitchen.
I shrug on Karan's shirt and fumble for my phone on the night stand .Three missed text from Liz await me.

" I have an alternative which since the Daksh deal isn't going through. How much do you know about the defense attorney? Karan Kundrra?"

I scrub the remaining a sleep from my eyes deeply aware of the irony of answering this text from Karan's bed.

"Liz, Karan and I know each other well."

"Oh Good. I can tell the publisher that."

I re-fasten  the buttons on shirt and get out of bed following the delicious smell coming from the kitchen

Woah. I never thought I'd wake up to a sight like this.

Karan is humming some Punjabi song to himself as he messily folds an pancake in a pan. A cup of chai is waiting for me on the counter.

 A cup of chai is waiting for me on the counter