S E V E N

I take a deep breath and enter the hallway a minute later.

The court room is buzzing with activity when I take my seat next to Linda.

'Big day today. The murders victim's boyfriend is testifying I heard he mistreated her....
Poor Jenifer.'

'An abuser....and a murderer?'

'The defendant attorney has been getting good testimony out of these witnesses.'

When I think of suspect I can't help but glance at Ketki Singhania, the defendant
Wife.

The judge bangs his gavel. Karan approaches the witness box.
Based on the witness surly expression I can already tell this is going to be a tough questioning.

'Mr Sanket, can you describe your relationship with victim?'

'Jennifer was my girlfriend.'

'I see. Mr Sanket, I'm going to cut right to the chase. Is it true that Jennifer was afraid of you?'

The witness bristles under Karan's stern gaze.

'Of course not . That's ridiculous.'

'Because I have at least five witnesses who are prepared to testify to the opposite. Try again.'

Linda leans over to me to whisper.

'I think he might actually get the witness to break. I would not want to get on Kundrra's bad side.'

'Kundrra is Being tough, but fair.
Not too harsh, but putting enough pressure on Sanket to get actual answers.'

I haven't seen this side of Karan before, and I can't help but feel impressed.

Karan takes a photograph and pushes it across the witness box. Sanket picks it up with shaking finger.

'Describe this photo for the jury.'

'It's, uhh..... It's Jennifer'

'Ah yes. Well spotted, Sanket. Glad you're capable of identifying the girl you dated for 3 years.'

'I..... I don't know. It's a bruise.'

'I don't like repeating myself. How did she get it, Mr Sanket?'

'I- I grabbed her when we were fighting.'

Shocked gasps echo across the court room.

Karan's expression is steely as he turns to face the judge.

'Holy shit, That was impressive.'

'That's an understatement.'

'Daksh doesn't look happy about this at all.'

'Kundrra should be careful. I've heard Malhotra fights dirty. And he hates losing.'

Before I can say something, the judge bangs his gavel and calls for a brief recess.

As I emerge into the main hall, I'm surprised to see my agent, Liz

'Sorry to Bombard you. I figured yaha aana jyada easy rahega since you are in court all day. Anyways I have an amazing news. Your editor is offering six figures for a book on the Nitin's trial.'

'Seriously? That's incredible.'

'But there is a slight catch. They want you to consider co-writing it with Daksh Malhotra.'

I frown at this. Across the hall, I can see Daksh and Karan talking, their heads bent. Based on the Angry expression it look like they are second away from full-blown argument.