23. Unhinged

"You mean Ghost hasn't even started softening her up yet?!" The man with the gun impatiently pawed the ground with his foot. "How much longer til we can talk to the girl? I want a piece of that!"

Another voice spoke from the shadows. "Patience, Kazuya. Such a delicate flower must be handled with care. We have time,"

"I don't understand why we have to wait for Ghost," The gun-wielder retorted. "I say we head in there now and start making the bitch know what pain really feels like!" He licked his lips. "Then she'll do whatever we want!"

"No!" A far more gentle figure insisted. "I know you don't really want that, Shinobu. She's only a child. And with a name like Sakura, you wouldn't want to harm her unnecessarily,"

"Of course we do!" The gun-wielding maniac burst out. "She's human, ain't she? They all gotta die!"

The orator stepped from the shadows. "Not until she's served her purpose in our plan. But I agree with Kazuya," he smiled. "If it comes down to force, so be it. The stakes are too high to fail now,"

The one sitting in the corner looked doubtful. "The Spirit Detective's twin is an important piece in this game. You think Ghost is actually capable of pulling this off?"

The more cynical man shook his head. "I'm not worried. Once the boy has his fun, Minoru can finish the job. She'll come around. And even if she doesn't, it don't matter any. Not like she has a choice but to do what we say,"

Minoru gave a laugh laced with manipulation. "Give it time," he smirked. "The boy has waited so long for his answers. He deserves to have his chance first,"

*******

"Mr Sensui?"

The former detective blinked and glanced over at Itsuki. "Is there a problem?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Itsuki smiled. "You looked so distant. Has there been an unexpected development?"

Sensui smiled back and shook his head. "No, Itsuki. Everything is going according to plan. I'd even say it's exceeding my expectations,"

Itsuki looked pleased. "Very good. And what about Ghost?"

"He's taking care of surveillance for now," Sensui replied with a laugh. "I'm expecting the Spirit Detective to enter the cave at any moment,"

"You won't be laughing when they get here!" Kuwabara spat from the corner. "Urameshi and the others will-"

Gourmet cuffed the back of his head, hard. "Yeah, not going to happen,"

"And what about the girl?" Itsuki continued as though nothing had happened. "Has Ghost made any progress with her?"

"We'll see if the boy is truly capable," Sensui smirked. "But I'm not concerned. Either way, we'll get exactly what we want,"

Kuwabara clenched his teeth. He'd had enough of sitting in silence. "What the hell are you saying, Sensui?" he demanded. "What's that maniac doing to Kura?"

"Nothing that you need to worry about," Sensui's voice was cold, final. "I already told you, he's not planning to kill her,"

"Then why is she here?!? I'm the one with the sword. If you're trying to use her as bait for Urameshi-!"

Gourmet burst out laughing before Sensui could reply. "It's more than that, idiot. She's multi-purpose,"

"I don't know what that means," Kuwabara hissed. "But whatever you try, she'll never help you!"