46. Running Out of Time

Kurama saw, but did not comprehend. As he drank in the sight of this beautiful creature in front of him, the rest of the world seemed to melt away.

She was breathtaking to behold. Her shoulder length hair now waved gently to the middle of her back in an ombré coloured waterfall. While Sakura's normal ebony hue remained on the crown of her head, it faded halfway down to a delicate pink and eventually, iridescent rose gold at the ends.
All traces of her brutal injuries had vanished into alabaster skin and full, blush-tinted lips. Though the strange symbols on her collarbones remained, they were covered by delicate tattoos that swirled across her chest and down her arms. Her body was lithe and graceful, even in stillness.

But as always, it was her eyes...those glittering eyes that captivated Kurama most.

Chocolate brown had become iridescent cerulean, framed with impossibly long lashes that threw off light when she blinked. And as Kurama gazed into their depths, he saw an endless ocean. One that he'd happily drown himself in.

"Kura..."

Her small but dazzling smile silenced him.

"Are you alright, my love?" she asked.

Kurama could hardly breathe. Even her voice shimmered like stars in the night sky.

"Kura," he whispered. "Is it really you?"

She nodded. "Yes, it is. Don't worry."

"Kura...love, I..." Again, Kurama's voice failed him. Never in all his life had he imagined such a heavenly being could exist.

"I don't believe it," Kuwabara choked. "Kura...she's..."

"Awakened," Koenma finished. "She's inherited the Mazoku genes like Yusuke."

"Look at that scarred fool," Hiei said. "He doesn't know what hit him."

Haruki gazed at Sakura. For once, he was speechless.

"So...it turns out Haruki was right," Koenma shook his head. "Sakura isn't completely human."

This would have some serious ramifications.

Haruki's face lit up. "I knew it," he breathed. "I knew all along, honey. You're not human!"

"Half human, it would seem," Sakura said.

"I was right, honey," Haruki pointed a triumphant finger. "I was right! You're not human. You aren't!"

"Whether you were correct or not makes no difference. You have to stop, now."

"Of course it makes a difference. You're a demon!"

Haruki's smile only became more crazed. "I got my answer...I got my answer! I'm seeing what you really are for the first time!"

"I'm not so sure about that," Sakura nodded to her right. "See for yourself."

On the other side of the battlefield, the air had cleared and the transformed Yusuke was striding towards a visibly stunned Sensui. They watched his every move, mesmerised by what they were seeing.

Yusuke stopped about ten feet from Sensui and gave a smile that didn't belong to him.

"I've waited a long time for this," he said.

"What in the heck's going on here?!" Kuwabara goggled. "And what's with that hair? Looks like he played with an electric socket!"

"I don't know what triggered this, but it appears Yusuke's body has finally accepted the transformation his Mazoku blood desired," Kurama said.

Sensui's shock morphed to delight. "This is perfect!" he breathed, sounding less like a villain and more like a child presented with their favourite ice cream.