33. Your Fault

The very sight of Haruki's silhouette was enough to enrage and disgust them all. Even Kaito and Yana, who had never laid eyes on him, recoiled in his presence. Several people growled.

"I'm sure we can all appreciate that time is tight, so why don't we skip the pleasantries and get to work?"

Haruki emerged into the dim light and Yusuke cracked his knuckles.

"Start talking, you asshole," he said before anyone else had a chance to speak. "Where's Kura?!"

"Sorely lacking in manners, aren't we? A simple please wouldn't go amiss."

"Screw you! What the hell have you done with her?!"

Haruki looked at Yusuke for a long moment, then his face split into a horrible smile.

"That...is my little secret."

Yusuke's rage ignited, but it was nothing on the wrath emanating from Kurama, or the sound of Hiei's growl.

"You bastard-!" Yusuke started, but stopped when a hand went on his arm. He turned, expecting to see either of his demon companions, but it wasn't.

"So, you're Haruki."

Genkai stepped forward into his scornful gaze. "The lone survivor of Shin's class. One of his most promising students. After all these years, his endless searching, it finally happens,"

She looked him up and down with a mix of anger and grief.

"Unbelievable. I never would have expected this."

"What's your point, old hag?" Haruki snorted.

"Shin always hoped, always dreamed that one of you was still alive," Genkai said. "No matter what anyone told him, he kept looking until his last breath. But now?"

"I'm not interested in any of the old man's lies!"

"Now that I stand before you..." Genkai continued as if he hadn't spoken, "I'm glad he never got to see what you've become."

Haruki glared down at Genkai with utter contempt. "Your words mean as much to me as the old man does. Nothing."

Genkai glared right back at him. Such childish denial. Refusing to see reason.

Her old eyes narrowed and she asked, "What have you done with Sakura?"

Haruki smiled again, but said nothing.

"Release her, Haruki. She's innocent in all this."

"Of course she is, old woman. But that has nothing to do with why I've taken her into my protection. She has a purpose to fulfil before we start our new life together."

Kurama's eyes narrowed.

"Protection?!" Yusuke repeated. "Is that what you call it, you sick bastard?!"

"Of course, Detective. She'll be perfectly safe with me while the demons destroy those filthy humans. And then...my little porcelain doll will come with me to Demon World, where we both belong."

Yusuke's stomach churned at the revolting nickname. "Freak! She's not going anywhere with you!"

Kurama growled again.

Haruki raised a brow. "Something wrong, Spirit Fox?"

"You won't take her from me." Kurama whispered.

"Funny, I was under the impression I already had."

Kurama bared his teeth just as Hiei pointed his sword at Haruki.

"We know Sensui plans to manipulate her telepathy into calling the S-class demons," he said. "Don't deny it. The child confirmed our suspicions."