*26: Boiling Fever

I am buried by the mist when I'm apart from you.

____~*+*~____

Time flies by me when a sharp knock on my chamber door brings my attention away from the serene outside window. A few clicks and it swung open to reveal a maid, a much kinder one, with a soft expression.

"Off your behind your highness, your mother has lifted the lockdown protocols on your activity." She cheered.

I jumped up and caught her shoulder before she could close the door. "What... What made mother do this? Why has she lifted them?"

She held my palm and smiled. "The townsfolk were getting suspicious of your absent presence and were getting rowdy. She had no choice. That is what I've been told at least."

That warmed my heart to hear. I let her go and closed my door. I felt... relieved but overwhelmed at the same time. I ran and jumped onto my bed, bouncing for a few seconds as I squeezed a pillow tight, kicking the air and twirling around over my sheets. I felt like a kid on Shiver Shine Day.

I rolled over to the edge and collected myself. I knew I had to tell Clay about this. Thinking that I made it over to my desk and pulled out the needed supplies. With a deep breath I began to write.

"Dearest,

I have great news to share. Mother was forced to lift the restrictions! All because the people were getting suspicious of how absent I had been. Ironic, I'm sure. She was probably drunk when she made the decision too.

I wanted to catch up with Nick and Darryl when I see them again. Maybe you could bring over Vincent to break the knight's tough exterior a little more. Oh, and let me not forget about the suitors.

None caught my attention. One wore expensive jewelry, but he was more interested in his diamond rings than in me. The second looked twice my age and ready to keel over into dust. The last was the creepiest of creeps. He wouldn't stop staring at me and he said the most crude things. None of them could hold my attention even if they actually tried.

Perhaps after Nick, Darryl and I's small get together, you could come and make my night more enjoyable

Yours,
George B. Cerul"

I couldn't help but add the little suggestion at the end. It's been quite a while since I've seen him again. What's some flirting going to do to anybody?

-----

Walking over to the library I stepped through the threshold quietly. Listening close I could make out the soft flip of paper and the slight creak of a chair that came with it. Crossing the winding lefts and rights between the bookshelves I found the open reading area with the cushioned armchair and a single lamp beside it. In that chair was a poised man with round glasses and caramel hair.

"Darryl!"

His head shot up with his body following. I ran over to him and he graciously caught me in his arms. It felt relieving to be back in one of his hugs. Now all that was missing was our dear knight in not so shining armor. I grabbed a stool that was not so far away and pulled it next to the armchair that Darryl set himself in. Taking my own seat I decided to start conversation.