32: Mercy

Douglas Gorgophone is not dead. That much they knew. And what happened to the letters Nick knows he sent?

____~*+*~____

The streets stood silent one moment before a noticeable rumble broke through the ground, as if the world was humming to a beat. Six men and any onlookers watched in shock or horror as the Douglas Gorgophone stood before them on a hill of debris and slashed rogue bodies.

It was him, but he was far from the way he looked the last time he and Clay faced off. There were parts of his flesh that peeled back to reveal scalded bones. There were blisters and burns everywhere, most likely from the magma he'd been forced into. One of the more unfortunate places where bone met air was the right half of his face, that half stuck in a ghoulish grin.

They knew he should've been dead. Was he even living?

Vincent looked to Darryl for guidance but saw that he was struck still with terror. He knew he had to act first, so he quickly grabbed Darryl and George while Clay grabbed Sam and Nick. They ran while dodging flying debris and—balls of magma?!

Both mythicals cursed under their breath. I'm deeply sorry Clay was his final thought before Vincent ducked into a hole made in a two story house. The three men held their breath as the rampaging corpse continued its chase, hoping any of the remaining panicking civilians wouldn't be targeted.

As the firing of magma faded they began to strategize.

"Okay, what the fuck first and foremost." That was George.

"Language."

Vincent couldn't help but smile.

"How is Douglas still alive? Clay killed him!" Darryl asked, astonished and horrified.

Vincent shrugged. "I'm not sure. If you say he killed him, do you know how?"

"He was pushed into lava. You don't just walk that off."

George jumped in. "Well he obviously didn't go unscathed. He now looks even uglier and he has magma powers. He got upgraded!"

Darryl and George looked to him for directions. Vincent nodded. "It's another hill to cross but not impossible. First, we need to regroup with  the others.

"Clay and I can do our best to weaken him with distracting tactics. We'll need to find a way to get close to him long enough to where one of us can make a fatalistic blow. If we can get to Nick, I'm sure he could do it."

They looked worried when he said that. When neither made a move to explain he sighed defeatedly.

"Alright. I know something is out of place here. What am I not understanding?" The quiet tone and helplessness in his voice was painful to the ear.

George reached over and grabbed the two notes out of Darryl's satchel pocket. He handed them to Vincent who studies their outward appearance.

One folded clean. One in torn tatters.

He read the torn up note first, careful with the individual pieces.

"I'm worried about you. Are you sure you're okay? :( -Nick"

He wouldn't admit it out loud, but the small scribbled face made his heart warm. He looked up at the two waiting anxiously for him to finish.