3. Last day of freedom

Maverick lead Y/N into the kitchen, smiling at the cooks as he did so.

He took two apples of a plate and offered one to Y/N who  took it happily.

Y/N was about to bite into it before he snatched it off her.
"Hold on-"
Y/N looked at him confused before Maverick winked and started to dust it off on his shirt.

"There ya go" he said and tossed  it back to her.

"Thanks" Y/N laughed and finally took a bite. Maverick smiled before the plate of sweet rolls caught his eye.
He put his own apple in his mouth  and slyly grabbed the plate, making sure he wasn't seen, he held it behind his back and turned around before moving the plate from his back to the front of his stomach.

Y/N chuckled in disbelief as she followed him, also dusting off her dress and fixing her hair before they walked into the dining room.
"Oh wait!"

Maverick raised his eyebrows in confusion  as Y/N walked back to get a jug of water to bring to the table, Maverick then rolled his eyes as he opened the doors to the dining room.

"It's your off day, you don't have to serve my mother"

"It's fine"

"It's not!"

"It is" Y/N sang with small laugh, she walked away from Maverick towards his mother.

"The biggest bear you've ever seen! His hide littered with the weapons of fallen warriors, his face scarred with one dead eye-"
Kind Fergus went on to tell they story of how he lost his leg to his three younger sons who had heard the story one to many times.
They mocked him as they also banged their heads on the table.
"I drew my sword and-"

"Woosh!" Maverick interrupted abruptly, his three younger brothers finally engaged.
"With one swipe his sword shattered-"
One of the three triplets fell off his seat making Y/N smirk. She finished pouring Elinor a cup of water before walking towards Fergus.

"And then CHOMP! Dads leg was clean off! Down the monsters throat it went!" He continued dramatically.

"Ohhh thats my favourite part!" Fergus complained out loud and to Y/N who laughed.

"And Mor'du has never been seen since!" Y/N looked to the three princes with crazy eyes.
"And is roaming the wilds waiting for his change of revenge"
Y/N waved her hands dramatically as she backed away from the table, the water jug still in her hand, Maverick walked up behind her, he raised his hands above her head predating to be a bear,
Y/N dramatically played along and began to "die," it was a little show they did to entertain the young princes.

"Let him return! I'll finish what I'd guddled in the first place!" Fergus stated with determination as he waved his chicken leg around.

Maverick placed his bow on the table along with the plate of sweets, causing
the queen to scoff.
"A prince does not place his weapons on the table"

"Mum! It's just my bow!"

Y/N started to pour the young princes each a glass of water, her own bow slung over her back, she tried to hide it once she heard the queen scold Maverick, unfortunately for her she had already spotted it.
Elinor sighed as she glanced at it.

"A lady, should not have weapons in my opinion"

Y/N tried her best to not roll her eyes, she loved the queen but comments like that made her blood boil.

"Leave her be! Lady or not, learning to fight is essential" Fergus supported, shooting a wink towards Y/N who smiled back.

"Mum, you'll never guess what we did today" Maverick changed the subject nodding towards Y/N who smiled proudly.
After pouring the princes a cup of water, Y/N walked beside Maverick about to pour his.