Self-reflection ( Part 1 )

"Constantly!"

"You are just an unappreciative child!"

"You always have excuses." 

"Stop thinking that you know better than us!"

"Forget your dreams, you'll just end up like most youngsters nowadays."

"Just face reality, young man" 

I looked at them absentmindedly. That's how my day always ended.  

The only thing I could do was to glance at them and bob my head as a way of acknowledging what they are explaining to me.

I kept on hearing the same thing over and over. It was similar to hearing a radio constantly repeating the exact song numerous times. 

There wasn't any need to argue with them if I spoke against them, things would escalate.

I just had to accept that I'm perpetually mistaken. 

My parents assumed that only the adults are right and the younger ones are not.

They always made all of us live in unpleasant conditions although they were both working and getting paid well.

My household included my parents, my elder brother Aaron, my sister Lucy and I was the youngest amongst the siblings. 

My sister was the nicest and most sympathetic person in my family. After school, I always ensured to spend some time with her. She never got involved in my quarrels with our parents. Lucy remained on my side, stood and defended me when there were some quarrels. However, things altered drastically when she started dating Nick. 

They both had met when they first joined college. My sister has been studying there for 2 years. It was reasonably far from our house, it took approximately 3 hours to reach there.  It would have been a hassle for her to go back and forth daily. Thus, she stayed with Nick in an apartment near their university. 

As strict as my parents are, they authorized her to live with her boyfriend. Hence, I was left on my own, the only time I got the opportunity to come across my sister was during summer vacation. Lucy had a hectic schedule, she had to work after classes to earn a few bucks to pay for her daily expenses. My parents only sent her the bare minimum for her studies and living costs. She worked as a waitress every night in a nearby bistro.  

My brother Michael, was just a presumptuous person. Both Lucy and I didn't adore the way he conversed with others or his behaviours. However, my parents expressed their affection and compassion in abundance to Michael. 

Lucy and I were both pretty much envious, we were constantly treated as foreigners that didn't pertain there. Not only us who assumed as such, on numerous occasions our uncle advised my parents to treat every child the samely. 

There was a small living room, where usually my parents would sit there and exchange with visitors. Perhaps it was the most startling part of our house. My parents always preferred showing off in front of any guests. The curtains were in golden colour with an enormous crystal clear chandelier. We also had a painting of a seaside landscape. The contrasting colour gave the masterpiece a remarkable look. It was a scene of our hometown back in the 17th century. The stage was set, everything had to be in place, clean and tidy. 

Our John, accompanied by his wife and his eight-year-old boy, showed up at my parent's house every Saturday. They came at around 11a.m and usually would leave at 5 p.m. Uncle John always dawdled patiently until everyone had finally taken seats. Dad and Uncle John would secretly rush to their car and grab a box.