Self-reflection (Part 9)

Time had elapsed, and I started realising that if I were to continue accompanying the old man I might end up in a bad situation. I had to come up with an excuse, for me to evade from there without triggering his attention that was concentrated on me.

A phone call, well, that was a huge no. This would make everything seem very obvious, thus that was probably not a great idea as such. 

" Uhm, how far is your house from here, sir?" I proceeded by asking the old man.

" Well, it's not that far away maybe 10 more minutes of a walk then my house will be somewhere on the right-hand side." He responded.

I couldn't disagree, apart from the potential problem I could be in, I was completely knackered from that long walk. I'm aware it's good to help out the elderlies, although I have helped him out enough, it has been more than an hour that I have been with him. I was tired from that long and hectic day we had since early morning.

I needed a rest, for a second, I reckoned that I should be straightforward with the old man, though I didn't think it would be a good idea of doing that. It was getting dark, already, and the night began to fall in.

Luckily, my phone got a notification, which indeed caused the phone to vibrate and make a slight notification sound. I instantly realised that's the exact moment for me to come up with a decent excuse to move away from there.

" Ohh! I literally can't believe it, my family is calling me, there is an emergency." I exclaimed!

I wasn't good at lying, so I had to make the best impression using my facial expressions and make it seem as realistic as it could be.

For the upcoming few seconds, he didn't even react to what I had just said aloud. It started to annoy me even more, however, he came up with a response a few dreading seconds later.

" Ohh no! Son must immediately go and help them out with their emergency."

" They, indeed need you."

" Don't worry about me, you've helped me out a lot already and I'm thankful for that."
He said.
I eventually proceeded by handing him out his shopping bags and helping him to hang them somewhere on his bicycle.

" Are you sure, you will manage?"
I sarcastically and politely asked him.

I couldn't indeed just go away from there rudely. Although I had no further intentions of helping him out. I just had to seem as if I cared for him and gradually tip-toe my way out of his sight.

" Yes son, I will, don't worry." He responded.

" Go quickly there and help your family out." He added.

He furthermore handed me out a paper that contained his phone number and contacts. I politely took it and kept it in my pocket. I assured him that I would give him a call as soon as I will be 'available'.

And voila! That's how you do when you politely don't want to be with someone for a certain reason. There were no absolute harsh feelings between the both of us and we went separate ways.

He went forward, and I whereas proceeding to go to the opposite way out from there. It got darker and darker as I went back to the storeroom. I began wondering and recalling that I was indeed on a mission and the mission hasn't yet ended and I'm not even present at my post.

I'm indeed giving a bad impression to my other co-workers who have stayed back there. The girl was still in our hostage, we had to assure that nobody would come and ruin our whole plan and also take good care of the little girl. On my way back there, I saw a few boys.