The Strange Woman

The next day, Katrina, Chloe, Lila, and Marinette went into town. The only reason Marinette was wearing one of her good dresses was because her stepmother is aware the village gossips and if word got back to Tom about Marinette's treatment..... well it wouldn't be good for her. Chloe ran off to buy shoes and Lila went to lie to some people. What she lied about isn't exactly relevant right now. " Marinette, come with me!" Katrina ordered.

" I thought you said-" Marinette was interrupted.

" I know what I said dear, but you are the youngest between you and your sisters and that means you are not to be left alone. Besides, what ever would your father think if I let you go off alone and you got hurt?" Katrina guilted.

" Yes, mother." Marinette sighed. ( she calls Katrina that because Katrina said so. She may treat Marinette bad but she at least wants to trick people into thinking everything is perfect with their family)

Katrina and Marinette walked into a dress store a few minutes later. " Your Grace, a pleasure to see you as always." The owner said to Katrina while kissing her hand.

" Alister, I see you haven't changed. You are aware I know your wife,Caline." Katrina threatened.

" I heard my name." Caline Bustier said as she strode into the room. " Duchess Katrina, how lovely to see you. And who might this little one be?" Caline asked Katrina as she looked at Marinette.

" My third and youngest daughter, Marinette. Say hello, Marinette." Katrina introduced.

" Madam" Marinette nodded.

As Katrina conversed with the Bustier's , Marinette noticed a begger woman across the street. " Mother, who is that?" Marinette asked. Katrina turned to look where Marinette was pointing.

" Oh her.... They say she was a woman of high society before her husband's death. Or at least it's rumored he's dead. Her name is Tikki. We do not speak with crazy women, do you understand Marinette?"Katrina commanded. Marinette nodded meekly.

" Mother! There's a proclamation from the castle in the town square!" Lila burst into the store.

Katrina wasted no time in going to the square. A few more minutes went by before the palace crier, Monsieur Xavier ( sorry I picked pigeon man.) stood up and addressed the people. " Hear ye hear ye! His Majesty King Gabriel invites all females ages 15 and above to attend the birthday masque ball of his Royal highness Prince Adrien, there the prince shall choose a bride."

This got everyone excited. Ladies started leaving to go get new dresses. This included Katrina, Chloe and Lila. " Isn't this exciting mother?! Imagine me as Queen of France!" Lila gushed.

" No, I will be queen!" Chloe argued.

As the two stepsisters ran off to buy new dresses for the ball, Katrina told Marinette," Stay here by the carriage with Monsieur Andre ( the ice cream man not the mayor), do not wander off."

Not long after her stepmother and stepsisters went to get new dresses, Marinette spotted Tikki once again. Tikki was a woman in her 40's ( for the sake of this story) who was obviously struggling to make a living after her husband's death. Poor Tikki was mistreated by the other people, Marinette saw as she was pushed and her things were dropped. Marinette knew she couldn't give the woman any money for her stepmother would notice any money was missing. But she could talk to the woman.

" Bonjour, Madam" Marinette greeted as she helped pick up any fallen items Tikki had been carrying.

" Merci my dear."

" Do you need any help?" Marinette asked.

" Oh no, but thank you for offering. Even though I'm not what I used to be..... then again neither was that woman that made me drop my things!" Tikki laughed.

" Are they always like that to you?"

" Bah, that's nothing!" Tikki scoffed. " Nothing I can't handle anyway!"

" I wish I could be as brave as you. Chloe, Lila and mother say I am too shy."

" Oh how are they?"

" You know them?"

" If I did I wouldn't be asking."

" They are well, there's to be a ball at the castle and they are busy getting ready for it. I hope mother lets me go with them."

" Anyway, why aren't you getting a dress with them?"
Marinette had nothing to say to that.

" It doesn't matter but I know I'll get to live in the castle, preferably as the palace seamstress."

" Oh and who arranged that?"

" My mother told me when was I little that before I was born a young woman came and told her I would live there. And I'll... I'll-"

" Calm down dear, you're about to throw a child's tantrum."

"I'm deeply sorry."

" It's quite clear you are currently unhappy." Tikki mused. " Well I must be off. I have some things to get."

With that Tikki walked off. It wasn't long before Katrina and the two stepsisters returned. " Come along girls, we have things to do before the ball."