The Search

The night the Dupain-Cheng-Rossi family received the news that the king was dead, Marinette sat in her room as her father told her a story about her mother, Sabine. Katrina watched from the doorway.

" Tom, may I speak with Marinette for a moment?" Katrina asked.

" Of course Sweetheart." Tom agreed, kissing Marinette on the head before leaving the room. Katrina sat on the bed and sighed.

" Marinette, I must apologize for how I acted before. I missed your father very much and it hurt to see you everyday while he was not here," Katrina apologized.

" That is why you were so mean?" Marinette asked in a small voice.

" Yes my dear, I promise to do you right this time. I may only be your mother by marriage but you can tell me anything, Now Starting tomorrow you will continue your lessons with your sisters."

" No more chores?"

"No more chores." Katrina nodded. " Now on to sleep with you."

" Yes, mother."

" Goodnight Nettie." Katrina kissed her on the head. Unknown to the Stepmother and Stepdaughter duo, Lila Rossi watched this and was not happy.

2 weeks later: At the Castle

Adrien sat in his fathers study which was now his, across from him was his stepmother the Dowager Queen, Audrey.
" Audrey, You said you needed to speak with me." Adrien said.

" Yes, it is of most importance."

" Well, what is it?" Adrien asked impatiently.

" Now that you are King of France, you must find that girl from the ball and make her your Queen. You must marry." Audrey urged.

" I didn't think you'd be concerned with my love life."

" I just don't want you to settle for less. I was friends with your mother the late Queen and I promised her I would take care of you and your father." His stepmother revealed.

" Did you love my father?" He eventually asked.

" I cared about him but for your mothers sake, No." she replied.

" Inform the staff to meet in the throne room. I have something to say." Adrien ordered.

At the Dupain-Cheng-Rossi chateau:

Marinette and her stepsister, Chloe were in the middle of lessons, her other stepsister; Lila was....... Somewhere, her stepmother Katrina was having tea with a few of her friends and Tom was in his study. When the doorbell rang, Rose the maid answered the door.

" What can I do for you sir?"

" Good day mademoiselle, I have a proclamation from the new king being sent to every house. ' His Majesty King Adrien of France declares she who the glass slipper fits will become his wife and Queen. Her Ladyship the Marquess of Paris will be searching every house in the kingdom. All maidens are to try the slipper on.'" The messenger read to the maid.

" Merci Monsieur, I will tell their Graces of this." Rose curtsied. Luckily for the maid, Marinette and Chloe overheard this and ran upstairs to tell Tom.

" Papa, you'll never guess what's happening!" Marinette exclaimed.

" What is it girls?"

" The king is sending the Marquess of Paris throughout the kingdom to find the girl the king was with every night of the ball. " Chloe explained.

" Chloe, you already have a future husband-" But Tom was interrupted.

" Oh no father, not for me. We just had to tell you in case you were wondering why we are having guests coming to the house." Chloe reassured.

" Chloe, we'd better go tell mother." Marinette pointed out.

" Oh of course Nettie." Chloe said. " We're going to go tell mother about the proclamation." She continued to Tom.

" Oh Chloe, I need to speak to Nettie." Lila simpered as the two sisters left Tom's study.

" I'll be alright, you go tell mother." Marinette urged Chloe.

Once she was certain Chloe was gone, Lila said nothing for a few moments before dragging Marinette to her room. Lila threw Marinette on to her bed and screamed " You will not try that slipper on! I will be Queen of France. If you try that slipper on your mama's precious grave will be destroyed and so will her necklace, am I clear?!"

Marinette only nodded in fear.

" Remember, I will be watching." Lila sneered as she slapped Marinette and then strutted out of the room.

And so the search began for Adrien's true love. Nathalie Sancoeur the Marquess of Paris set out with about 30 soldiers ( plus a disguised Zoé) and Plagg.

" I can't find Zoé!"

" WHAT?!"

To be continued..........