a meeting

warnings: panic attacks, mentions of death/manslaughter, begging for punishment/death and suicidal thoughts/actions

The stress was getting worse, so as soon as the song finished I dropped my violin, stumbling offstage. The crowd murmured and gasped, my leaving taking everybody by surprise. The violin's neck snapped off of the body. I could hear it. Not even bothering to grab a coat to protect myself against the frigid air, I ran outside through the back door to where the stranger was waiting for me on the street.

And, she just kept running.

So, I followed.

She raced down the streets, past houses and trees, past stores and parks, and all the while I made my best effort to keep up with her. Bolting to the church, she disappeared behind the building. When I reached the corner and turned it as well, she was nowhere to be seen. Instead of the stranger, I saw the graveyard.

And, I knew where she was telling me to go.

Collapsing on my grazed knees in front of Mari's headstone, I gasped for any hint of breath that I could muster. It was ragged and shaky, yet I still fought to force it. Squinting my eyes shut, I tears streaked my cheeks. I lost control over my own body, and I fell onto the stone, holding it tightly.

"M-Mari... The world's gone to shit," I told her. I took the chance to laugh a bit after, but I continued. "At least- At least my world has. I miss you so much, I really do. I-I don't know what I'm doing with my life."

"Really, who does?"

I jumped a little, looking up to see the stranger sitting on the stone. But, this time, her cloak was white and her hood pulled down. She had a gentle smile on her face, and her long black hair flowed in the icy wind. She was translucent and glowing brightly, and I knew in a heartbeat who she was. Her face and body was battered and bruised, and there was a concave dent in her head as if she had fallen straight onto it.

"You're here..." I said dully. My voice would have sounded surprised if I wasn't so tired.

"Of course. I've always been here, watching over my little brother." She laughed. "Well, you're not so little anymore!"

"How are you..."

"You're probably only seeing me as a result of your fatigued state, but believe me, I'm here."

I reached up, attempting to take her hand. All I could feel was freezing air when I touched her. Mari's smile still remained. There was rope burn around her neck, and upon closer inspection, you could see where her bones had broken.

"Mari, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, I'm a-a horrible brother."

"I'm sorry, Sunny," she muttered. Her voice echoed around the empty graveyard. "But I can't forgive you. You ruined everything we worked towards, and I'm still really upset about that."

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Is that why you're here? You're back to punish me for what I've done?"

"No, I-"

"WELL, I DESERVE IT!!" It all went silent again. I started to cry louder, my shoulders jerking upwards to match violent sobs. A breeze picked up, and some leaves twirled in the wind. "GO ON, DO WHAT YOU'VE GOTTA DO! HAUNT ME! HURT ME! KILL ME!! WHATEVER YOU DO, I'VE EARNT IT. I'M A CRIMINAL. I KILLED YOU."

She hesitated a little before speaking up. "I may be unable to forgive you, but I refuse to hurt you. You're the one who's cared the most, even when I passed. And, I'm so sorry that I broke up the group. But, you're back together now, and I think you can work things out."

"I d-don't deserve- I don't deserve your kindness," I wept. "You should take the opportunity while you still have it. I'm a free target. Please... Please maltreat me."

"Everybody deserves kindness at least once in their life, even if they're the worst monster in the world. There's always at least one person or thing who makes their lives worth living."

"What's mine, then?" I asked her. "Sometimes... Sometimes I don't think there's anything at all."

"More people than you know care about you. There's Kel, Aubrey, Hero, Basil... even your bandmates care."

"The only thing they care about is the money."

"You're so stubborn, little brother. You always have been. I guess you really did take after me, in a way," she sighed, a hint of frustration in her voice. "Maybe if you try hard enough, you can open your eyes to a better future. You can fix this, make your life not miserable. Or, you can go back to White Space. Avoid those who hold meaning in your heart. You can change for the better, Sunny. You just need to be open to the things you can change, and let go of what you can't."

We both went quiet again. Ducking behind the headstone, she pulled out the rusted blade I left behind years ago. The one I used to attack Basil and Aubrey. The one I used to chop my unappetizing and lukewarm microwaved steak. The one I used to fight the horrors and nightmares that plagued me. Dropping it on the grass in front of me, her face had fallen again to a small frown.

"Open your mind, little brother. It's your choice now what you do with yourself. I can't guide you anymore tonight. There are only two paths that you can take tonight."

I held the knife's handle gently, looking back up at her as she stared down at me, a disapproving look on her face. "...I love you."

"...I think I can learn to love you again."

And with that, she fell apart into thousands of white petals that formed sheets on the ground before they faded away.

I was left alone in an empty churchyard, a steak knife in my hands, crouching over my sister's grave. My head was growing weary just trying to think. I wanted so badly to see Mari again, although she had just left me. The world felt empty without her. Holding the knife over my stomach, I thought over my options.

I could see her again right now.

Or, alternatively, I could try to be happy.

~~~

Choose wisely... this may impact what you may learn and the fates of some characters you know.

I have to see her again. (next chapter)

I'm going to try to live on and make it without her. (skip the next chapter, and read the one after)